Aquarium Weight

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
As you know, I recently purchased a 55 Gallon. It is not in my apartment yet, but I didn't put this into concideration. Should I be concerned about the weight of the tank in my upstairs apartment? The apartments weren't cheaply built, if this matters.

Thanks

It should be fine Ive seen them hold in some rough places but I would advise you to find out which way your floor joists are running and run the tank the opposite direction. For example where I had my tank when you walk in the room the floor joists ran from the left of the room to the right so to evenly distribute the weight I ran it center of the right wall. I hope this helps.

ITEM FROM HELPFUL ARTICLES - TIPS - PAGE 1.

How to calculate tank volumes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORMULA: The length (L) x the width (W) x the depth (D) in centimeters, divided by 1,000 will give you the volume in liters. to convert to gallons multiply by 0.22. live rock and other decor will displace the water and reduce the Volume by approximately 10 percent depending on your setup so make sure to allow for this.

TANK SIZE VOLUME WEIGHT

36 X 16 X 15 IN 36 GAL 300 LB.
36 X 18 X 18 48 GAL 400 LB.
38 X 18 X 18 54 GAL 450 LB.
48 X 18 X 18 64 GAL 540 LB.
48 X 24 X 18 86 GAL 710 LB.
60 X 24 X 24 143 GAL 1191 LB.
72 X 24 X 24 175 GAL 1455 LB.

KEEP THE TOTAL WEIGHT OF A DISPLAY AQUARIUM IN MIND, ESPECIALLY IF THE TANK IS IN AN UPSTAIRS ROOM OR IN AN APARTMENT. MAKE SURE THE AQUARIUM IS SUPPORTED FIRMLY AND NOT ONLY BY ITS STAND-ITS NOT INCONSIDERABLE WEIGHT SHOULD BE DISTRIBUTED EVENLY OVER THE FLOOR JOISTS. IT SHOULD ALSO BE LEVEL IN ALL DIRECTIONS TO AVOID SETTING UP DANGEROUS STRESSES IN THE GLASS PANELS, WHICH COULD THEN SPLIT UNDER WATER PRESSURE FROM THE INSIDE.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Don't forget to factor in the weight of your stand. They are usually pretty heavy. And if you add a few inches of substrate on the bottom, that's heavier than water.

You shouldn't have a problem with a 55 gal tank. Just look at some of the cheaper stands. They are made out of realy cheap material that crumbles apart if it soaks in water for to long. They are only 3/4 " thick. Your floor joists are 1 1/2 " thick.

and to help factor in the weight remember saltwater is just a little over 8 lbs per gal. Keep us posted, I would like to know if you decide to do it and how it turns out.

Back