are canister filters the best?

brandilynn

Reefing newb
I want the best quality of filter for a 55 gal. tank that is set in a wall (can't be overhang, has to be separate). A friend advised against gravel filters because they get all clogged up and are high maintenance. I wonder about the canister filters, especially the new ones that have just one canister--how do you know if all of the little parts in there are working the way they are supposed to? I've seen the three canister ones that seem a little more practical but they are way cheaper so I wonder about the quality.

I wouldnt use a canister on a saltwater system.The main reason being that they require more maintance.If you don't clean them regularly,they will cause high nitrates.
I think you would be much happier with a wet/dry/sump.That way you get your heater and skimmer out of the display and out of sight.The wet/dry is also easier to keep clean.

Welcome, I also have a 55 reef system and I run a cascade 700 filter.... all I use it for is to get the particals out of my water, and some times carbon.... the simplier the better! Your live rock, live sand and skimmer will take care of the rest... Do you have room for a sump or refigium?

Hawks and yote have it right on. if you have room for a sump that is totally the way to go. otherwise you just need a filter that does pretty much mechanical filtration only and everything else will take care of the rest.

For the least amount of maintenance and a cleaner and healthier tank. Hands down to a sump/refugium.

I have went though almost every filter you can and will only ever use a sump/refugium now they help keep your tank healthy and as close to an ecosystem as possible. The older it becomes the more mature it becomes therefore easier to you and better for you animals. Also is a safe breeding ground for Copepods and amphiopods.. :)

Good info from everyone else.I too would go with a sump/refugium and put my skimmer,heater in there also.If you go with a canister makes sure you clean it regularly and like Biff,avoid an undergravel filter.

I use a canister just for circulation it has no media in it at all. It was left from when i converted to salt. I dont have a fuge but have a skimmer and a sand bed with live rock. Nitrates are always low. Do a 2 gal water change every other week on a 30 gal tank. Puts it just above a 10% change every month.

Brian

You could try putting some live rock peices in your canister, this will help filter as well as create a breeding groung for pods.

What livestock do you have?

I have two false percs, a coral beauty, and a regal tang (aka Dori) for fish
I have a frogspawn, bubble, green star polyps, a mushroom rock, and some zoas on a several peices of rock.

I know that the blue tang will eventually out grow the 30 gallon but I am planning on getting a much larger tank when i move out of this small condo in the next couple years or so. But everything is doing good the star polyps are starting to spread and the frog spawn heads have split once and now have 3 times as many mushrooms on the rock than when i first got it

Brian

I am a fan of sumps. Use a couple of media bags and carbon for filtration. that way you can keep your skimmer, heaters and UV steralizer in it - keeps the tank looking clean.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

i agree. the canister filters are not a good choice for saltwater. they trap detritus and other matter that lay in there and rot causing nitrate proplems and algae problems.

Back