Arrested by the Tang Police!

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!
nicholson-thumb.jpg

So ya, i still think the article has a lot of merit and gives us something to think about. I also don't think he is condoning putting fish into too small a tank. But instead he is questioning the validity of the extreme tang police members.

I think he should have made that a little clearer. He said something along those lines once an towards to end of the article. It really just concerned me that someone just starting out could stumble upon this article and then think it was okay. People come on here and say that they've seen information that goes both ways (tangs need 125 vs tangs are okay in 55 or whatever). I just think it's better to err on the side of caution.
And my tank is a 150 but it it four feet long. However, it is also three feet high, so while it's not the "six feet" that I hear so often, they are all over the tank height-wise. And I know they are happy. And by that I mean "content".

+1d2mini! I enjoyed the read and I think I understood his underlying message. I'm always open to new views on old subjects.

It's one thing when a new reefer puts a tang in a small tank and gets told about it from a fellow member. It should be over and done with, you made your point. If the OP is listening to you, he will get the point. The problem I have is when 3 or 4 other members follow with the same post, each one getting a little worst than the last one. Is there really any need to do this? How many people really do take the fish back or put it in another tank, not many I bet.

I think it deffinatly comes down to lack of research before purchase, I don't think this is any worse than buying an aggressive fish and putting it in a calm tank and then get pissed off when it kills half your tank, or buying any wrasse and not having some type of cover, knowing all wrasses jump. That's like the pot calling the kettle black

I still remember my noob days when everything I know now just seemed totally foreign to me. When I had assumed the LFS would at least steer me away from buying fish that don't do well in my system. When honestly, I believed I could get a yellow tang for my 45g TALL tank (because my brother "successfully" had 2 in there at different times, each one dying a few months after being added -- notice I put "successfully in quotes...cuz now I know they died from stress in a small tank). But you guys forget what it's like to be a noob, eager to start, thinking you have done the research. What did i know? My research came from my brother (who's had this tank for years) AND my LFS telling me a tang in a 45g is fine. I trusted both.

Now, I DO know better thanks to everyone here...I took it all to heart. Not everyone will. But I think had I been yelled at (which I didn't cuz I was just so darned lovable!!!!), I don't know if I'd have shut myself down and just did as I pleased and kept on killing fish :mrgreen:

There are the noobs who disregard all advice cuz it's not what they want to hear. The fault is from both sides...the noob being closed minded, and the people attacking him right off the bat before he's had a chance to regroup and take in the advice. You'll have all walks of life coming into here, and there's not much you can do if someone wants to keep spending money and killing fish. We just have to hope that if we reason with them enough, they'll realize our advice is sound. I believe there have been a couple of hard-asses who came and tried to conquer and fail because they didn't listen to us, but eventually admitted defeat.

With that, i have to applaud our mods because no matter how inane a noob gets with their ignorant post, they usually start off by patiently giving out good advice without the undertone of judgment....that is, until the noob's claws come out then of course we sic Biff on them to show she's got bigger claws :)

Back