Assorted damsels?

Damnselpa

Just Fish
I have one blue damsel right now in my 29g tank. Was wondering if a assortment of damsels would work. How many could I get and do you think there would be enough to prevent aggression? I see them in the tanks at the stores with about 10 on one tank.

You're lited to 2-3 fish tops in a 29 gallon tank. Personally I would not mix damsels, or even keep damsels in a tank that size, you will likely see aggression and dead fish (which you posted about in another thread). You see them overstocked at your fish store because they are in temporary holding tanks with the hope that they will be purchased by hobbyists

Damsels will usually bully each other to the death. You will probably end up with one fish at the end. At the pet store, they aren't in the tank long enough to establish a territory. And the ones that do get killed are removed from the tank, so you don't see it happening. In your home aquarium, the aggression will escalate over time. Damsels will kill other fish too. In my experience, the worst offenders are blue damsels, domino damsels and striped damsels. I would avoid those fish if you want to keep anything but the damsel. And you will be maxed out at 3 fish in your tank anyways.

That seems to be the going answer. I really would like to have different types of fish, so it looks like he will have to find a new home.

We aren't trying to rain on your parade, we just want to see you have a succsessful tank. Be sure to reseach the dwarf angel you are interested in, a 29 is too small for some of them

I always chime in about MY Damsel when anything is posted about them.

MY Damsel fish (yellow tail) is very nice. Very unaggressive, almost shy. He has his little spot and doesn't seem to mind visitors. Even the two chromis that are either his same size or smaller aren't treated as a threat. He is a happy member of my tank.

Just thought I'd share a good Damsel story.

I had a yellow tail for about 10+ years that never bullied anyone and was sweet as can be. But that's definitely not common behavior for a damsel. ;)

Back