attaching polyps

tangboy

Reefing newb
I had a few polyps break free from the piece of live rock i bought them on. It may have happened while I was cleaning or changing water.They are doing fine, though. I placed them in a crevice on a larger piece of live rock. I want to attach them permanently and need advice on the best product or procedure to stick them down. They are reproducing and i hope to be able to trade some frags soon. Thanks.
Burney

I heard some people use rubber band or gel super glue.I have attached buy just keeping the rock out od the flow and let them attach themself.

Minireefer is correct, select the piece of hard material you want to stick them to, put the polyps on it and keep in place until they stick. keep in the proximity of the the mother piece and when all are growing and expanding you can move them or trade them. good luck. the trick is to use a clean piece of hard bottom for attachment and to keep the polyps in one place continuously touching the hard bottom piece of whatever you want to attach to, shell, rock, etc. let us know how it goes.

I want to try to use Super glue Gel. Do I remove both rock and polyps from the water to gel them or...? GARF is a great site no doubt. Some of it is a bit over my head as a newbie, though.

Last edited:
well if you choose to use super glue make sure you get the GEL.

You want to try the rock as much as possible or atleast the area you are goign to glue...

Put the glue on the rock then dab the coral on a paper tall to get any excess water off then put it on the glue.

I personally don't like to use glue on soft coral, but wouldn't do it any other way with stonies. Some softies end up having tissue rot away where the glue touched them only to let go and blow away about 3 days after glueing.

If it was a decent size or a couple polyps i would just use a very loose rubber band to just hold it in place for about 7-14 days.

Just my :twocents: but there are a 100 ways to do it.

Brandon

Back