Az No3 - Bta - Euthanasia?

I know I have one of you and its one of you just getting up in the morning with no shirt on let me find it ill post it.

Last edited:
Without further adue this is jermpool when he gets up in the morning...
angler123.jpg

Last edited:
No you really wanna know what he looks like strip spongebob down to his tighty whities, give him boobs and a five o'clock shadow they look Identical. Although the angler does have a slight resemblece just a slight one though.

Bifferwine I would like to appologise for getting off topic and destroying your post. I am no longer going to bicker childishly with jelly. I have been very childish, and immature. Please forgive me. :mrgreen:

Back On Topic
How is your problem going? Have you made any progress?

Hahaha... I was just wondering, "How did the very sad topic of my BTA kicking the bucket turn into THIS?!?!". I've been hijacked!

Phosphates are still at .1... Nothing seems to lower them. I tried adding "Phosphate Control" by Blue Life, it's supposed to drop phosphates by 1 ppm in 24 hours in 100 gallons, but NO, they are still where they started at after two doses of the stuff... As for the good news, my sea hare is enjoying the 24-hour all you can eat salad buffet in my tank:bounce: .

There you go. That dancing banana is for you :D

I just bought the Kent Marine phospate reactor and am using it for Nitrate Sponge as my tank gets weaned off of the AZNO3. I read up about the brand you linked to above and several people said it was difficult and complicated to take apart and put together, I specifically bought the Kent Marine one because reviewers said it was much easier to work than the Two Little Fishies one, and it did not require any extra plumbing parts.

I've been happy with it so far. Real easy to use and pretty cheap.

I been using phosx that I picked up at petsmart. Got the idea to try it after my 2nd cyno outbreak. I dont know if its really working or not,but at least that &^&& cyno hasnt come back ( yet) knock on wood

Bifferwine said:
I just bought the Kent Marine phospate reactor and am using it for Nitrate Sponge as my tank gets weaned off of the AZNO3. I read up about the brand you linked to above and several people said it was difficult and complicated to take apart and put together, I specifically bought the Kent Marine one because reviewers said it was much easier to work than the Two Little Fishies one, and it did not require any extra plumbing parts.

I've been happy with it so far. Real easy to use and pretty cheap.

That was the only one foster smith had. I'll look around for th Kent one when I get ready to buy. Thanks for the heads up.

these products are band-aids. they cover up the problem but don't fix it. if you have phosphates or nitrates. look for the source of these problems. did the AZ no3 kill the BTA? no one can give a definate answer to this question. my advise is to not use products like this in your tanks.

AndyB4784 said:
these products are band-aids. they cover up the problem but don't fix it. if you have phosphates or nitrates. look for the source of these problems. did the AZ no3 kill the BTA? no one can give a definate answer to this question. my advise is to not use products like this in your tanks.

Give us a list of all the causes of phosphate and nitrate problems and how to fix them. Without a band-aid.

In a general sense, a skimmer and water changes are just bandaids too. It all depends on how far you want to take it. What is considered natural in this very unnatural hobby? We try to simulate nature using lights, powerheads, skimmers, additives, formulated food, etc.

The AZNO3 binds the nitrates into large chains so they can be picked up more efficiently by a skimmer. I don't see how enhancing nitrate removal via a skimmer using AZNO3 is a bandaid while using the skimmer alone is not? Doesn't a skimmer and water changes just cover up a problem too?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just saying there's very little "natural" about this hobby, we have to keep these animals alive via very unnatural means in the first place.

I tried to reduce nitrates and phosphates "naturally" pretty much every way suggested to me. I added a DSB. I added a sump. I added a fuge with lots of chaeto. I increased the volume of my tank by 50%. I added a phosphate reactor with denitrate and nitrate sponge. I reduced my photo period. I do a 20% weekly water change. I only use RO water. Before I do a water change I blast my rocks of detritus and vacuum it out of the water column. I cut my feedings in half. I stopped feeding flakes and pellets. I rinse all the frozen food before I put it in my tank. I have a very large and diverse clean up crew. I'm religious about cleaning my equipment. None of those worked. So I tried the AZNO3 and it worked. I know that the AZNO3 is a temporary fix, so I'm hoping I will find something that doesn't involve adding chemicals to the tank. My phosphates are still high, Phosban, Phosgard and red phosphate pads haven't worked, neither has Phosphate Control liquid. Can you suggest anything else for me to try? I'm open to anything. But it's not like I'm not trying and am just looking for a quick fix. I tried a lot of different things before I resorted to the AZNO3. And I've spent a whole lot of money trying to fix my nitrate and phosphate problem. All to no avail. In fact, I'm so damn frustrated by the whole thing that if I could lift my tank, I'd probably throw it out the window.

Last edited:
Hey Biff, I was reading in my Coral book today while I was at "work" and it said that there has been reports that dosing kalkawasser has lowered phosphates. Don't know if you have tried but it might be worth a shot.

I have kalk. Never had to use it. I've kept it on hand in case I had calcium issues, but none so far. I don't really want to use it if I don't have to, but that would be an interesting thing for me to try in the future.

Back