Babies!

So far so good. I still have them in the HOB Fuge on my DT. First batch of BBS hatched today and I fed them that along with Rotifers. 3 died today but that is to be expected I guess. Still 60-80 of them total, many are still kind of stuck at the surface but a good number of them are showing some basic buoyancy control now, which is a good sign. Not sure how much longer I'll leave them in the Fuge but it makes feeding easier as I can basically over feed without a problem but I have mesh up stopping them from being sucked into the tank and some of them keep getting stuck on that.

So going well so far, end of the 3rd day and not much of a mortality rate so far.

Lost a total of 10 so far, I think I'll have a bad day tomorrow also, a lot of them got stuck on the mesh I have preventing them from ending up in the DT while I was at work today, not sure how long some of them were there but I'm not confident they'll do well. Working another 12 hour day tomorrow but I think I'll move them to the 10 gallon Friday. Will make feeding tougher but less death to their surroundings. More of them are showing buoyancy control today though so at least a number of them are showing promise.

BBS batches and rotifer cultures are doing well so all and all for my first attempt and a surprise at that things are going ok. The deaths bother me though, always thinking that I should have done something different. I think in the end though I will be very happy if 10-15 or so survive, 12-18%ish survival rate for my first time would be good, just kind of depressing when I think about the number that didn't make it or might not make it.

I would say that if only 1 survives, you did an excelent job!!!!! You cant blame yourself, you are doing everything in your power to give these little guys achance. You also didnt know they were coming, so you werent prepared. Dont be so hard on yourself.

Lost a total of 10 so far, I think I'll have a bad day tomorrow also, a lot of them got stuck on the mesh I have preventing them from ending up in the DT while I was at work today, not sure how long some of them were there but I'm not confident they'll do well. Working another 12 hour day tomorrow but I think I'll move them to the 10 gallon Friday. Will make feeding tougher but less death to their surroundings. More of them are showing buoyancy control today though so at least a number of them are showing promise.

BBS batches and rotifer cultures are doing well so all and all for my first attempt and a surprise at that things are going ok. The deaths bother me though, always thinking that I should have done something different. I think in the end though I will be very happy if 10-15 or so survive, 12-18%ish survival rate for my first time would be good, just kind of depressing when I think about the number that didn't make it or might not make it.

Even experienced breeders loose a big percentage of their babies. You're doing awesome!

C

Yeah, like Biff said, you pulled this out of your hat and put it all together with no notice...very awesome. Also, think, not all would survive in the wild would they? that's why they have so many.

Well there was a disaster. My wife got the green water and Rotifer cultures mixed up and fed the babies from the green water culture, which was a mess water quality speaking since I used miracle grow to accelerate it's growth. We lost all but one of the babies a little under a week ago to this, except for the one survivor they all died within a 20 hour period or so as I didn't realize what happened until I got home from work that night and they were fed the green water in the morning. Even an extensive water change and a huge bag of carbon couldn't save any but the last little survivor.

So that was a very sad and upsetting day. But the last little guy is super seahorse and is doing very very well. He's basically swimming in food since he's the only one left and has grown a lot. He's two weeks old today and here's a couple pictures.

IMG_3952.JPG
Here is the little guy in a cup while I cleaned out his tank.

IMG_3970.jpg
With the flash on.
IMG_3971.jpg
With the flash off.

Wow! Great job! Even one surviving is impressive. I hope your wife doesn't feel too bad... You can tell her we think that you two have done an amazing job. You should name the little survivor Hercules. ;)

Yeah if he makes it another couple of weeks to a point where we're more sure he'll make it to adulthood we've been trying to think up epic names for him.

Lesson learned though, I've marked the buckets with what is inside of them now and I have all of the stuff I'll need to raise future babies. I've got a bucket of rotifers and green water I'll keep going and three brine shrimp hatching stations so I won't be running around in a panic like I was this time.

Wow I saw the first post for this thread and was amazed! How fast do they grow up? I am sorry to hear of your recent loss. Thank you for posting the photos. I look forward to continuing to see how quick he/she grows! :-)

Last edited:
Back