Bad LR Rock?!

rlsdsurfer

Reefing newb
Need help please, got 1 piece of recycled LR, (don't know yet if that is good or bad), it has a small aiptaisia, and these nocturnal, (close up when light hits them), urchant looking things. They look like little 'patches' of clear hairs with round white dots on the end when they open. When there closed they have what appears to be a hole in the center so they blend into the rock. sorry no way to take a pic. :frustrat:

Last edited:
Well i see diatoms (which should go away on their own) and aptaisia which need to killed off. I would use aiptasia X

those white things are diatoms? Some are gone this AM. I plan on getting PPmint Shrimp and nanibrach (?) to handle aptaisia. Have some critters to one I can't find on-line. Looks like a bi colored burgundy/black centipede thing with white fuzzy hairs on its back? Have seen 2.

The other critter is a bristle worm, good member of your CUC, just dont touch them.

Im not quite sure what the diatoms are, they could be spirobid worms. Not a big deal.

I would skip the nudibranch, they dont usually survive the acclimation process because they are so sensitive and if they do, they will just starve to death once the aiptasia is gone. I would also get several peps to increase the odds that one will eat the stuff.

The other critter is a bristle worm, good member of your CUC, just dont touch them.

Im not quite sure what the diatoms are, they could be spirobid worms. Not a big deal.

I would skip the nudibranch, they dont usually survive the acclimation process because they are so sensitive and if they do, they will just starve to death once the aiptasia is gone. I would also get several peps to increase the odds that one will eat the stuff.

Yea, I hear there are 2 types of pep's one won't eat aiptasia. My LFS says the ones they have will!
spirobid worms, wouldn't worms move? Actually, there are two types. They look similar in that they both have clear hair like arms with white dots. Yet, one of them is more spacial, uniformed and when it closes up has the appearance of a closed sea urchin. Thanks LF :D

LF so a vid on youtube where a guy simply burnt the aiptasia off the rock with a lighter. Then I saw a device that burns/zaps them under water. Hell, i'll fry the thing just one I can get at it easy :)

You can go that route if you want, but for most people its easier to not pull the rock out of the water. The zappers are pretty cool, but they seem to be hit or miss if they actually get them, but that could be a user skill sort of thing.

Back