Baffled bout zoos

I have a pair of saltwater tanks. 55g and a 30g. The 55 is always fine, never any problems. Its got some fish and coral, but never seems to be a problem. The 30g on the other hand is a whole other story. I have 55lbs or so of rock in the 30g. A Pagoda Cup, green star polyps, pulsing xenia, brown zoos, and a Condi Anemone. Only a goby is left as far as fish. Thought it might help get things stirred up. All the others I moved to the 55g when the 30g went crazy.

Tony

I would think adding a pair of clowns or two smaller fish about the same size would be ok. Then you need to wait for it to cycle again before adding others.

Thanks I didn't know that the starfish was not reef safe. Gonna take it back to the lps. They told me it was reef safe. Are there any stars that are? I showed my girlfriend the pic of Brandon's 92g and she thought it was cool.
thx

Tony

I did ask the guy at the LPS and he told me it was. He usually knows but missed on this one. Now I know where that mushroom I got went. I'm going to get another starfish I guess. Dont know what to do with this one. I did get a Sixline Wrasse today. Should I add it in the 30g or should I put my Clowns in there first even if I dont plan to keep them there? The wrasse is in my quarintine tank til I know he's healthy. The clowns are in the 55g. Still small enough for the 30g. I'm not a big fan of clowns. I do like the wrasse alot. Good call.
Thanks

Tony

I wouldn't put any fish in there you don't plan on keeping long term.

If you have a local reef club ask if anyone has a harliquin shrimp, if they do they will gladly take it from you for food. HEHE.

Your best bet would probably be to see if the LPS would give you instore credit for it. The ones here will usually give you 35% of the price of an item if you return it to them after having it a while if you later decide you don't like.

I asked around no luck. Not much for clubs around here. All though I think the LPS will give me credit. I let the guy at the LPS have an earful over not knowing his stuff and told him next time do some research. I guess i'm not the only one he has done that with. It appears that the coral-vert is the additive messing with the nitrates. I added it to the 55g and the nitrates jump from almost 0ppm to nearly 5ppm. After one dose. In which I didn't put all that the bottle called for. Never will use it again probly. Don't appear to need it anyway. I will leave the clowns alone and just put the wrasse in the 30g then. thanks

Tony

I have 130w PCs over the 30g. The bulbs are new. They are about the lowest in the tank as far as coral goes. Probly 3 or 4 inches off the bottom. Moving them doesn't seem to matter. I thought the same thing. Higher, lower, even different flows dont change the appearance. Let me know if this helps or you need more info. They are my favorite coral and I like to see them thrive. Thx

Tony

Can you give me the wattage and type of bulbs?

Also how far in inches from the lighting?

Example
35 watt 10k bulb.
50 watt 20k bulb

18 inches etc....

Also are the zoos real close to the rock or do they look stretched out?

They are CoralLife 65w, 50/50, 10,000k and half actinic , 30 inches, they are 15 inches away from bulbs, 12 away from top of water. They are stretched out.

Tony

From my experience when they are stretched out like that they need more light.

I would try moving to the very top for a week and see if that helps.

I would only count the 10k when adding your wattage, actinics doesn't count 100% as it is mostly just for color enhancement.

How long do you run your lights a day?

Brandon

Another thought would be to maybe run some fresh carbon, it helps clear the water which allows for better light penetration.

Just some ideas.

Back