Ban on live rock

nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
As some of you may know, it is now illegal to export live rock from Tonga. Because of this issue, it makes me wonder if exports form Fiji are ever going to be banned. Does anyone know how long people have been using live rock in tanks? I hope the export of LR inst banned since i plan on building my dream tank once im out of collage.

I think that Tonga ban was lifted. Dont quote me on it but it was something to do with customs more than conservation.

I don't think the banning of live rock will be a problem in building your dream tank. Live rock from places like Tonga and Fiji are nice in that they bring hitch hikers and a variety of organisms. However, we can make our own live rock from cement (properly cured), dry coral deposits from Utah, etc. Companies like Tampa Bay sink tons of rock in the ocean to turn dead rock into live rock. It is, in many ways, better for the environment. I'm not extreme when it comes to the environment, but do feel we need to be good care takers of the world that God gave us.

There's only so much rock broken off the live reefs.You know it'll eventually run out.
Like Lights mentioned,TampaBay saltwater does culture their rock.Its mined somewhere in flordia and taken out on a barge and dropped off for a few years.
You'd be hard pressed to find any better live rock.And it'll actually be alive when you get it.Right down to the hitch hiking fish and eels.

there also full of gorilla crabs but live rock straight from ocean full of all the good critters very nice stuff.

The reason for all the mantis's and gorilla crabs is also what makes TBSW so good.They keep their rock wet enough during shipping that 99.9% of what on/in it stays alive.We've got things like live fish and eels in with a new shipment of the TBSW live rock.

Back