Banggai Cardinalfish

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I just got a a Banggai Cardinalfish for my 45g :) Unfortunately, my camera is out for repair. I will take a picture with my daughter's Hello Kitty camera later LOL

I normally only deal with 4 employees at my lfs (one is the owner). So the one helping me today gave me weird info...I told him that I have 2 clowns and a firefish in the 45g and I feed them a mix of frozen mysis, cyclophreeze, and as a special treat, this mix of brine and mysis. He pretty much said I need to feed flake food and this other stuff as well. I said that I thought these fish were carnivores (from what I've read and been told by everyone else)...he says "All fish are vegetarians, too". Dunno. He seemed fishy:sfish:, no pun intended. I didn't buy his food recommendations. But I did get the cardinal. Pretty fish. My kid decided to name him "Oh"...when I said that's a cool name, he said "No, I mean, his name is "A" :frustrat:

Crappy pic to come soon once I put him in.

You should have a wide variety of fish food to give to your fish. I dont think you have to feed flakes but sometimes i feed my fish flakes soaked in Vita-Chem. I use sparilina but its your preference!

Yeah, I give them a mix...I feed primarily frozen mysis, but every few days or so, i'll change it up to cyclo or the brine mix. I feed the spirulina primarily in the 10 gallon for the clown goby, but even in that tank I mix up the food. I put a few drops of vita-chem as well.

No fish is 100% vegetarian. Even fish that are typically thought of as herbivorous (like tangs and lawnmower blennies, or other algae eaters) will still eat meaty foods. The ones you have are omnivorous, they eat meats and veggies. Some are purely carnivorous (most predators). You should definitely not feed flakes -- they contain preservatives that lead to algae problems and poor water quality. Stick to what you are feeding already -- you've got it right.

The more I read about this fish, the more I'm wondering about it...it can eat feeder fish??? Anyone know if I should worry about my clowns, firefish, and peppermint shrimp?

Congrats on the new fish. I know your working on it but....

2905878535_1f7af7ef82.jpg

Kauderns will eat just about any frozen foods.Even stuffing a whole cube in there mouth especially the bigger ones.You have it right,no need to add flakes like the others have said.

Ok....camera phone pics :) (Can't wait to get my camera back!! :grumble: ). He's been hanging out in this area since I put him in. But he did eat a little bit yesterday. So far so good, though. Weird thing is since I got him, the tip top of his long dorsal fin, there's this small white thing hanging off it...like he's got a little puff ball ornament attached. Hope it's nothing. I read they're not usually susceptible to ick, but not that I would be able to tell anyway with all his white spots anyway!

smImage013.jpg

smImage014.jpg

They are super hardy fish. I've had a pair for years now. They were Petco fish. So they HAD to have been through hell and back before I put them in my tank!

You got something from Petco? Wow. Did that once. Never again. I actually get my fish straight from the distributor. Way too many $$ to get from Petco. There are some very reputable distributors online that will work out a pretty good deal for you. I also have a LFS in the metro area that is pretty good. I heard of them in my freshwater days and have a pretty good setup both in SW and FW. Not to give you grief but....

I had one of these and he would not eat, I threw every piece of food in existence at him and he still wouldn't eat. I think he just starved to death.

Mine's a li'l piggie :) He's nice and fat. He's even learned to go to the corner where I drop my food. Somehow, he knows the difference between me just walking past to look or me with the food container. I usually feed the 10 gallon first, then go to his tank. Everytime I get to his tank with the food, he's up near the surface of the feeding corner. He eats anything I put in there, from mysis to occasional brine to spirulina....and sometimes the chopstick I use to put the food in!!

Back