Base rock question

xixi

Reefing newb
Hi, I’m a newbie and try to set up my first 38G reef tank.
Can I use base rock only to set it up with live sand? Or should I have to mix them with live rock?
Does base rock will become live rock finally? and how long take them to there?
Thanks in advance for any advises.

Hi and welcome!

Live sand is a waste of money, in my opinion. You should start with dry sand. It will become live eventually.

And you can use all base rock and then a small piece of live rock, it will all become live after a while. As far as how long it takes... I really don't know. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

+1 erin....if I had known better when first starting, I'd have just used dry sand.

Just test your water. When I first started my 125g, I only put in dry sand. I "fed" the empty tank mysis shrimp everyday. I'd say, around the end of week 1, I started to get ammonia...my cycle was done after maybe 3 weeks...But it will vary with from tank to tank and depending on how much food you put in to rot to start the cycle.

Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, get one.

Hello and Welcome!

When your cycle is done your base rock will now be live rock. How long the cycle takes depends on each tank, but having a more live rock to base rock ratio will speed it up a bit.

+1 on the dry sand stuff

Last edited:
Looks like everyone has you covered. I would also stay away from live sand, there are better places to spend the money. When I started my tank last fall, I added one pound of live rock for every 10 pounds of base rock, and I had a pretty quick cycle

Back