Bekka's hand-me-down 350g

So I got my volitan lion fish... everything went smooth for acclimation.. but he's just hanging out in the back, and I'm not sure if my water flow is too high for him, the tank use to be set for an Achilles tang.. I'm not sure if that makes a difference though.. any ideas?

From everything I've researched, lionfish tend to hide for a while when getting accustomed to a new tank.Just give it some time and it should come out to play! Of course, others with more experience may have a different answer.

Yeah I knew they weren't really active fish, I just love how beautiful and different they look. In my research I read that they like caves, so I made sure there were a few for him when I did my rock work. But like I said my main concern was the water flow in the tank, in stores I see lions just kinda sitting still on rock, and don't even have to move, but in my tank the lion seems to have to constantly swim to stay in one spot and I read somewhere that if the flow is too high it can rip their fins.

I'm actually wondering now if I might have too many fish for the tank... the guy I inherited the tank from once told me not many people would put as many fish as he had in the tank.... so now I'm thinking if I might have more than I should.

Ya, you do have quite a few fish in there. I personally wouldnt add any more. But just give the lion some time to explore the tank, he will find a nice safe spot for himself. The reef isnt calm either and they figure it out :)

I'll probably stop after I get two more tangs...

The lion seems to be warming up, I tried feeding him yesterday, the eel ate just fine but every time I tried to get close to the lion he backed away and hid. I'll give it a few more days.

I've been thinking about the triggers and the ideas some gave me, but I'm not sure cause I remember reading a lot about triggers go after lions.. so I'll have to do more research.

I'm trying to convince my gf to let me set up my 75g once the groupers tank goes, and maybe I'll just transfer all the coral and all to that tank and make the 350 full out aggressive. But those are just ideas.

So its almost a week that I have the lion and he hasn't eaten, he won't come near me when I try. I did some research about their eating habits, they like to eat during dawn/dusk hours, and that they are most active, until he gets use to my lighting schedule after a few months then he will be out in the open, but now when it comes to their most active hour, am I suppose to turn my reef lights off and keep the blue light on?

Normally when I go to feed the eel, others in the tank try to nibble on it, but tonight I go to feed him and it seemed like I hadn't fed anyone in months! They attacked the silversides and even went to attack the eel for it. My tile fish actually went after my hand. Is this normal? Do reef fish like silversides?

Have you tried feeding the lion live ghost shrimp? They can be tricky feeders, and many of them won't adapt to frozen food.

Yeah I made sure to see all of them eat, that's why I chose him because he was the one to go after the silversides first and was the most active.

I've tried wiggling it too... last night I turned the reef lights off but he still didn't come near me, I got him interested in it but he come out.

Not that I notice, I have a lot of chromis that are appearing out of no where some are fairly small... It's a possibility, but now that you mention it, I haven't seen my fire fish today... that I can remember.

So guys, this is my kinda sad and kinda happy update.

The 220g tank is going next week, and I got to thinking about the space the 350g was using, I only have about a 500 square foot apartment, tank takes up literally my entire living room. So I got to talking to my girlfriend about the space I was looking to have and what we could do with it, the main reason I didn't want to give up the tank was because of its size and if I gave it up I had a 75g to turn to, it kinda discouraged me to down size so small. So my girlfriend and I continued to discuss it and I was really happy with the end result.

I'm going to be selling the 350g, and the 75g, and moving on to a 150g. It's smaller than both tanks I currently have in the apartment, and it's bigger than the 75g so I can keep my lion, eel, and a few others. Plus it gives us extra money to buy furniture and I gain an actual living room. I'm really excited for the up-coming weeks see what happens with it all, so wish me luck guys with finding a buyer! And finding a 150g. :Cheers:

Back