Best way to treat ich in a QT tank

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
My new cowfish has a bit of ich, from what I hear this is not uncommon among cowfish. He's eating fine (eats like a pig actually) and none of the other fish have it so I don't think it's any huge threat to my tank.

He's still pretty small, like 2 inches horns to tail so I think my spare 10g tank will be fine. I figured I'd just put an old submersible filter, and heater if neccesary in there with plenty of pvc or whatever for him to hide in. Keep the lights off etc.

Now my question is what I should actually do to treat it. A copper based treatment or hyposalinity?....or something else? If it were any other fish I would probably just do the copper without second thought but cowfish do that toxic goo release thing when stressed. This could be a problem since copper stresses fish out. Also I need to know how long he will have to be in the QT.

My idea was to do copper and feed him a ton of garlic. Yay or nay:question:

Thanks.

cowfish don't have scales, and shouldn't be treated with copper. If you insist on treating him in a QT system with meds you will need to use very little and pull it out right away.

I would probably keep him in my display if he's eating and not gettting picked on, or just put him in a QT system without meds. I am unsure how they do with freshwater dips???

These are difficult fish to keep, and will deffinatly out grow a 55. Good Luck.

No on the copper, I said, NO. :grumble:
Oops, guess I would have killed mine right off the bat.
Thanks for chiming in Winy and correcting me.

Sorry I've been very busy with school and work. Havn't been able to get on here.

Thanks winy, I guess I'll leave him in the DT unless it gets worse. And I know he'll outgrow the 55. I plan on getting a 210 or 280 in about a year and a half when I get out of school and can actually afford a mortgage.

Back