Biff in the Kitchen

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I really didn't feel like working today. I've got a really bad case of the "I DON'T GIVE A SH!T" grad student blues lately. So instead I decided to make my own fish/coral food.

First, a trip to two different grocery stores. Because fresh seafood is hard to find in Arizona, yo! In the end, the only uncooked seafood I could find were oysters, shrimp and scallops. Okay, well I did find LIVE clams and LIVE mussels. But being a vegetarian and all, I was already totally creeped out shopping in the DEAD ANIMAL aisle. No way was I going to be able to handle dealing with LIVE SOON TO BE DEAD animals. Sorry fish. I even bought the EXPENSIVE tail-off shrimp so I wouldn't have to handle that gross stuff.

Here's what the fish shelf in my freezer looked like:

092607001.jpg

Here are the ingredients to my recipe:

092607002.jpg

Mmmmm mix it all up and let it thaw!

092607005.jpg

For reference, this is what I used in my recipe:
- bloodworms
- brine shrimp
- squid
- spinach
- romaine lettuce
- seaweed
- cyclopeeze
- plankton
- krill
- tubifex worms
- daphnia
- mysis shrimp
- scallops
- shrimp
- oysters

DAMN this stinks!!!

092607008.jpg

Now to add the *healthy* stuff. Selcon and garlic:

092607018.jpg

Blend it up, NWKRC!!!!

092607022.jpg

OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS GOOD! I JUST WANNA LICK THAT BLENDER CLEAN!

092607023.jpg

Eggcrate. Wax paper. Pan:

092607024.jpg

Pour it in:

092607025.jpg

Freeze it:

092607026.jpg

Okay. By this time, the house STINKS. That's why we have Oust:

092607028.jpg

092607030.jpg

The cubes are all frozen and ready to come out:

092607032.jpg

Unfortunately, Neal's bright idea of the eggcrate didn't work. The cubes were completely stuck and I couldn't get any of them out :(. I'll just have to feed the fish by sticking the block in the tank and melting off a bit, then putting it back in the freezer. Lame!

No worries though! To be sure I make them right next time, I hit Ebay up. And I bought these:

2 MINI ICE CUBE TRAYS MARTHA STEWART NIP!! - (eBay item 320162104069 end time Sep-30-07 18:33:26 PDT)

Thank god for Martha Stewart. My fish will forever be in her debt.

Let's top off the night with a piece of carrot cake. Now THAT smells good!

092607034.jpg

Last edited:
this is great. i tried the same thing once, but i didn't have as many ingredients as you. def looks ripe. i don't have a clue where your t-shirt is from. salvation army? just kidding ;-)

Here's a hint: It's a sabre toothed lime. Adrastos and Mator should get it real fast, but I don't think they read all the threads :(

I don't have a clue on what the t-shirt means.

That recipe looks great and gross all at the same time.It looks like to much work for me but more power to ya.I'll have to stick with buying prime reef which has almost all the ingredients you listed already.

Hey, just my second post. Glad to see that grossness. Looked like you poured to much in (duh me). You gotta remember that's gonna expand when it freezes.
Grad student with a penchant for the Kingdom of Loathing? Nice.

I will post my Fish freeser in the morning,
My sis in-law works for the Sally SF bay packing plant I get Coolers of Food Free!!!

Hey, just my second post. Glad to see that grossness. Looked like you poured to much in (duh me). You gotta remember that's gonna expand when it freezes.
Grad student with a penchant for the Kingdom of Loathing? Nice.

Yeah I poured too much in... Oh well, we can't all be smart all the time. ;) Sometimes, I think I'm lucky I can even cross the street by myself.

Back