Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

Geez I just realized how much of a Noob I sound like. How embarrassing! I've never had a new tank before! All my tanks have always been used! Wow.

Your too funny Biff. You call your boyfriend ndb and the entire forum calls my wife #2 and ive started doing it too, of course i only do it when im talking about her on herd:D Do you interduce him at party's or the bar as ( hey this is my man NDB) that would be funny:mrgreen:. Sounds like you got your hands full with yopur new tank already Biff. Have fun:bowdown:

Well, Lowe's opens in 10 minutes, and I'm rearing to go!

I think I'm actually going to switch gears (of course) and use vinyl tubing instead.

How do you stick the vinyl tubing to the bulkheads/unions? PVC glue? Silicone?

you need barb fittings. i can take some pics if you need. hope you have fun with the plumming. i used dishwasher hose since it is black and reinforced tubing

Change of plans. We are going to put the tank on a different wall. The new wall has a room behind it (the office). More specifically, a closet directly behind it. We're going to put some holes in the wall and put all the equipment in the closet instead.

Wow! Almost 11 p.m. here and there are no updates? No pictures? And what of all this plumbing earlier today?

Are you and NDB having some "quality time" or something? :mrgreen:

No quality time here. Just craptastic luck. Or maybe it's my total ineptitude and lack of skill.

We were up to 2:30 am plumbing (I logged 7 trips to the hardware store yesterday). Got everything through the wall and the new sump set up, got everything plumbed, poured some water into the overflow to check for leaks, everything looked good.

I tried to hook up my RODI unit, but I had copper water lines in my old house, and these ones are flex tubes, so I tried to use the same clamp thing, and apparently that only works on copper lines, because it was leaking like crazy. I need to go back to the hardware store now to try and get something I can use for the flex tubing, and hope that the hole that's already in there isn't a problem. Do I have to replace that water line and start all over again?

So, water did not get made last night, which puts me a day behind schedule. I was going to move all the rock and fish today, but the tank is empty! So we will get the water issue sorted out this morning, and hopefully the tank will be ready for me to move everyone after work tomorrow.

So then I wake up this morning and check to see where we added water to make sure it's still holding. IT'S NOT. It's leaking from the return somewhere. So like any good reefer would, I slathered on half a bottle of silicone and am waiting for that to dry so I can leak test it again.

I took pics. They are coming up, I have to get them off my camera first. THIS SUCKS! I'm so frustrated :(

I figure if I can at least get some water in the tank, I'll start bringing over my rock today. That will give me some time to kill off all the majano and kenya weed. So if the water params aren't perfect, who cares. The rock's going in there.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your problums biff.It sounds like if you didnt have badluck you wouldnt have any luck at all:mrgreen:. Hope everything starts to turn around for you:bowdown:

Here is the tank on its new wall.
091909002.jpg

The empty closet.
091909001.jpg

Just enough space for a sump, skimmer and future algae scrubber.
091909003.jpg

Hole in the wall.
091909004.jpg

NDB used a hole saw to drill into the side of the overflow for the loc lines.
091909005.jpg

It looks like this from the top.
091909007.jpg

The sump with all the equipment.
091909006.jpg

Thanks for the moral support everyone! I think Home Depot opens in 10 minutes (damn lazy people wanting to sleep in on Sundays). I'll be on my way there, and of course will keep everyone updated.

The RODI hookup is fixed! The leaky return line is fixed! We have water!

It's 12:30 in the afternoon. I'm gonna let it fill a bit before I add salt. And no, I did not do a leak test before I connected everything. This is real life baby, this IS the leak test!

Sorry to hear about the problems. Hopefully everything goes well and no more leaks! Sucks you didn't get your center overflow, but none the less it's a killer tank. That skimmer looks like a monster! What size is it? Only on suggestion for you though. I would put some of your sham wows under the sump, because salt water will ruin the hardwood flooring fast. There is an epoxy that you can put over the floor to protect it. It's clear makes the floor shine real good and fills in between the planks to make it water proof.

Back