Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

I ordered my new tank today. A 90 gallon with one center overflow. And a black stand. I just ordered it over the phone from my LFS, so I have no idea what it's going to look like or anything. He said it'd be in within 3 weeks. Hopefully sooner, since I keep having to go back to my old house to take care of the 240. Expect updates to this thread in a few weeks!

Biff what page are your tanks on in tank showcase, can't seem to find it

Allen (algy1943)

I have pictures throughout the thread. Start at the end and work backwards!
You must have realized how thick I am, cant find your photo's been through Biffs 90 Gallon downgrade, searched the tank showcase, nothing, take me through it step by step please, I never knew you had all those problems with your fish so sad.

Allen

This is the Tank Showcase thread. You are posting in it right now! Start at the last page of this thread that you are in right now, and look backwards.

This is the Tank Showcase thread. You are posting in it right now! Start at the last page of this thread that you are in right now, and look backwards.

Found it at last, thank you, what was the kalk overdose you speak about? hope talking about it is not too painful

Allen

Found it at last, thank you, what was the kalk overdose you speak about? hope talking about it is not too painful

Allen

Have been through pages 1-15 so far, really interesting reading and seeing you tank set up, will continue through the rest of the pages in time. they have been better reading than all of the James Patterson books so far lol.

Allen

Last edited:
Well it's been over 4 weeks since the kalk overdose. Time for an update!

Things have settled down and corals are starting to heal and grow back. My loses were:

- duncan colony
- 3 lobo colonies
- several paly and zoa colonies and frags (including two very expensive paly frags :()
- huge cabbage leather (the oldest coral in my tank! Wahhhhh! :cry:)
- 1 acan colony
- 1 hand-sized chalice
- birdsnest
- hairy mille
- 2 urchins
- 4 shrimp
- all snails
- all crabs
- all starfish
- all ricordeas in my nano tank (OUCH! This hurts the most)

The remainder of the corals are clearly injured, a lot of skeleton exposed, a lot of receding flesh and bleaching, but I don't anticipate any more deaths, and I think the rest of them will grow back over time. The survivors are slowly looking better, day by day and I've tried to be very diligent about doing whatever I can to save the remainder of them.

Since my entire CUC was wiped out, I am going to the LFS today to restock. I've been very patient about replacing lost animals and haven't added anything since the crash! I wanted to be sure everything was back in order before risking some more money and lives.

Of course, any time something changes in a tank, you get the inevitable algae outbreak following. Luckily, the dinos seem to be gone, but I am getting hair algae on the back glass and powerheads now, so I think it is time to add a CUC back to the tank.

I hope to come home with some nice additions! And I will take some pictures of the recovery effort. It has been really hard, but I'm glad most of my corals are pulling through it.
What is a Kalk overdose?

Allen

Attachments

• 016 Pacific tang resized.jpg
    016 Pacific tang resized.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 017 Pacific Tang resized.jpg
    017 Pacific Tang resized.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 018 Pacific Tang resized.jpg
    018 Pacific Tang resized.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 019 Pacific Tang resized.jpg
    019 Pacific Tang resized.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 296.jpg
    296.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 139
You need to be very careful when using it. I wouldn't use it again unless it was as a last resort.

Your fish are looking good! That's not a powder blue tang, it's a hippo or regal tang. Also, I suspect your corals may not be doing well because your lights aren't strong enough. I'm betting you'll have better luck when your LEDs arrive.

You need to be very careful when using it. I wouldn't use it again unless it was as a last resort.

Your fish are looking good! That's not a powder blue tang, it's a hippo or regal tang. Also, I suspect your corals may not be doing well because your lights aren't strong enough. I'm betting you'll have better luck when your LEDs arrive.
Are you sure Sarah, all the photo's of powder blue tangs look like mine. Does the Euphyllia look as though it's dead, one of my waving hand corals did not come out all day yesterday, but is out in full bloom today, funny creatures?

Allen:bowdown:

Last edited:
It's okay. You don't need to apologize. You should just post pics and questions about your tank in your own thread, not 'Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade' thread.

Back