Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

I went back to my LFS. They did get new stuff in; however, that stuff wasn't CUC like I wanted :( I did pick up two urchins, to replace the two that I lost during my kalk overdose.

A blue short spine:
IMG_4084.jpg

And a halloween urchin:
IMG_4066.jpg

So far, the halloween is a total dud. Hasn't moved from the sand where I put him. At least the short spine is clinging to the rockwork, but also hasn't moved yet. If these guys don't do well, I'm going to order urchins online instead. The ones at my LFS never seem to be active...or even alive... Sigh.

I got this too. And before you guys remind me of my dismal track record with plate corals, I want to point out that this is a tongue coral. I have never tried a tongue coral before, so hopefully this guy will open up and be happy for me:
IMG_4076.jpg

And the guy at my LFS was complaining about how many ugly generic acan frags they have that they can't sell because they are all boring looking. I told him to put together an ugly bag for me. I said, "Give me the ugliest ones you've got! I'll take them if you don't charge me a lot for them." So it is my pleasure to introduce you to the "Ugly Acan Crew":
IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

I think that last one is actually a micromussa, but whatever...

Ugly Acan crew lol... I like the halloween urchin those are cool. Your tongue coral will it walk all around, I have a harry tongue coral I am always putting it back in the corner...

I hope your urchins start moving around, I'm sure they're just getting used to the new tank before they go crazy on your algae. And I personally like the acans but, thats just me.
Are you sure that the other one, is a tongue coral? It looks more like short tentacle plate coral to me. The pics I've attached the first is a plate and the second is a tongue
Short Tentacle Plate Coral
Slipper / Tongue Coral

I think that looks like a tongue to me. Better color than most though. And the Acans are nice looking, except for that last one. :lol:

Congrats Biff.All the corals look mighty nice,especially the acans.

That is definitely 100% a tongue coral.Sadly,they are very closely related to fungias.I'll keep my fingers cross for you.

Dominick, what makes you so sure it's a tongue coral? The oval shape? That's what I figured too.

I hope it does well. Day 2, and it looks fine. It put its tentacles out eventually last night. So that's good. I'll try feeding it tonight.

On the other hand, my stupid halloween urchin still hasn't moved off the sand where he initially landed. I'm sad to say this guy may be a goner. I've not had much luck with any of the inverts or CUC I've bought from my LFS. I am going to order some online, maybe I will have better luck with that. Maybe my LFS doesn't acclimate them well when they get them in, or maybe they just get poor quality inverts in the first place.

does it still have it's spines? From what I've read, if there's a problem with them they'll usually start shedding them

The shape Biff just like what you thinking.You can't go by ridges because it's just like a plate but some tongues have alot more tentacles than plates(which I'm sure you know of).

They both belong to the Fungiidae family.So in truth,you bought another plate,I think?I think I'm confusing myself.The good news is they are even easier then plates

Last edited:
does it still have it's spines? From what I've read, if there's a problem with them they'll usually start shedding them

It has its spines, yes. But it hasn't moved since I put the stupid thing in the tank! I basically bought an expensive orange and black rock that will eventually dissolve away. Yeesh!

Back