Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

Orange speckled zoas. These guys are SO COOL. I started out with two on a frag plug. They have since grown to 10+. They start off tiny and brown, and as they grow larger get brighter and brighter until they are a stunning orange.

035.jpg

Last edited:
Green acans. I was certain these guys were toast after my kalk overdose. Nothing but skeleton was left. But they came back. And they look way different than they did before. They used to be dark green and purple. Now they are kinda bright green and white.

020.jpg

This is a very odd lavender and blue mushroom of some sort. It has split a couple times, and I really like it. It's at the back of my tank.

021-1.jpg

GEEZ, I wish I could find zoas like that!!

They were brown when I got them, believe it or not!! I bought all these frags from this guy that was tearing down his tank, and I was like, "Ho hum boring brown zoas, yawn". And as soon as they started growing bigger, I was like, "WOW!!!" I've never seen zoas like that before.

I love surprise zoas! I found a couple on the bottom of a display tank at the lfs, all abandoned, faded, etc - got them for free, brought them home and they colored right up!

Most of my zoas are really starting to grow out, going to be sad to give them up to you!

Most of my zoas are really starting to grow out, going to be sad to give them up to you!

Oh yes, so sad. I will be crying a river as I carry them all the way from my mailbox to my tank!!! :lol:

Oh you mean sad for you. Well yes. But you will get them back, bigger and brighter than ever.

I just got some new ones yesterday for trade, they are red with a blue-green interior and an orange mouth, and big. I'll make sure some of those head your way.

Here are my sun corals. I started with only two polyps (they are expensive at my LFS!!) Just a couple months later, this is the result of feedings every other day.

0273.jpg

And this is what they look like closed. So many baby polpys!!!

0533.jpg

I just got some new ones yesterday for trade, they are red with a blue-green interior and an orange mouth, and big. I'll make sure some of those head your way.

Ohhhh sweet! Those sound nice.

What are the yellow ones to the left of the nepthea? They don't really look a lot like normal colonial yellow polyps.

A fellow reefer friend of mine gave them to me. They are not colonial yellow polyps. He said they were gold star polpys (like green star polyps). They are way too big and thick to be colonial yellow polyps. But I've never seen gold star polyps before (pink and green, yes). And they don't have the purple mat or round centers like green star polyps have. So I don't know what they are. They are definitely not fast growers like colonial yellow polyps are. They haven't grown or spread since I've had them.

Well for this pic I'm not even going to use the photo editing software. Because frankly, there's nothing I can do to make it any prettier. :lol: This is Peanut. As you can see, he is missing his left eye. And his tail. And most of his fins. Poor Peanut. He swims in clockwise circles all day long. He got beat up real bad by someone a couple years ago (and he lost his eye about 5 years ago), and none of his appendages have ever grown back! But he gets by. He eats just fine, and he hovers normally. Poor guy. I have been calling him Stumpy recently, but I'm holding off for a few months before I officially change his name. See him gazing at his own reflection? "IF ONLY I WAS BEAUTIFUL!!" :cry:

030.jpg

And this is his more handsome brother, Jelly. Get it? Peanut and Jelly, the PJ (pajama) cardinals? Hahahaha. Plus, if I changed Peanut's name to Stumpy, it just wouldn't work...

1322.jpg

Ha ha funny! Peanut is such a getto fish.

Yeah I feel so bad for him! But what am I going to do? I always try to make sure I aim lots of food right in front of him, because it kills me to watch him try to hunt!! He just spins in circles non stop, going crazy after the food that floats by. I've had those cardinals for so long. They are so ugly and boring, but I've got an attachment to them! Maybe I could contact that vet in the UK that fitted that cat with artificial limbs that fused to his bones. I could see if he could do something similar for Peanut's tail. :lol:

Yea def some sort of zoa/protopaly....sun corals look great! To me, they seem to grow in a pattern very much like my duncans...

What are you feeding them? I just started feeding my corals oysterfeast, and I've noticed it stimulates a lot of feeding responses I haven't seen prior.

I've tried oyster eggs but I think they're too small for most of my corals. I feed mine the same stuff my fish get -- krill, mysis, fortified brine, etc. The sun corals and duncans really seem to like the bigger, meatier foods more than the small stuff. My blastos too.

Back