Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

I picked up a few things from a guy's tank this morning... An orange sun coral, a blasto rock with four heads, and an orange and blue acan rock... They are all half dead. He said he's had the sun coral for months and has never fed it, and the polyps have never come out. There seems to be just a bit of flesh left on them. The four blasto polyps are completely receded and shriveled up. The acans look to be pretty bleached. We'll see how they do in my tank.

Ughhhhh so NDB and I have been working on the sliding glass door all weekend... It's not quite finished yet, but I think having it open while we're working on it, and having the giant hole in the wall for a day and stuff is hurting my tank -- which is in the same room. My tank got up to 88 degrees today. :(

I turned off all the lights, have the fans blazing, and am making some cold water to add to it. Oh well. My animals should be used to those sort of temps by now!!!

These are the three things I picked up from that guy on Sunday. I still haven't adjusted the color of my camera to the new lights over my tank, so everything looks kinda...purple.

Half dead sun coral... He had them at the top of his tank, directly under a 400 watt MH. He said, "I've had this for three months and it's never opened. Am I supposed to feed it or something?" :shock: After I explained that it had to go in the shade and had to be hand fed, he said, "Do you want to take it? I don't want anything that I'm going to have to feed!" Most of the polyps are dead, but there is still a little bit of flesh on some of them. I've fed it two nights in a row now. It's just starting to come out a little bit.

005-3.jpg

Half dead purple (?) blastos. Hard to tell what these are. He said that he's had them for months, and he started with a rock full of them (their poor skeleton covers the rock), and now there are only four, and they never open up and are constantly shriveled. :shock:

002-3.jpg

At least this one looked okay. It's a very nice orange, pink and blue acan frag.

004-6.jpg

I am expecting a shipment of corals tomorrow from Parrotchute. Stay tuned!

Thank you!

I have a black sun coral and a yellow sun coral already. They are both doing very well and I keep them nice and plump. Sun corals are pretty tough and really take off if you are able to give them what they need.

The blastos... Well those could go either way. I've had some before that were in rough shape, and sometimes they just don't come back even if you try to take care of them. I think they are a little bit harder to rehabilitate once they've been mistreated!

Thank you!

I have a black sun coral and a yellow sun coral already. They are both doing very well and I keep them nice and plump. Sun corals are pretty tough and really take off if you are able to give them what they need.

The blastos... Well those could go either way. I've had some before that were in rough shape, and sometimes they just don't come back even if you try to take care of them. I think they are a little bit harder to rehabilitate once they've been mistreated!

If anyone can nurse them back to a full recovery it's you, good luck your tank must look lovely now with all the new inhabitants, looking forward to seeing the photos.

Not yet! I have to take pics of them! I have actually had the lights off for most of the day recently because it's been HOT.

Okay pics coming up soon...

Okay I'm ready. Got to make more space on the sandbed!! I still haven't bought epoxy or super glue, which is why these guys are still on the bottom. It's a long acclimation! :lol:

Okay here's the deal. I went to take pics last night. But I noticed that my big rock of blue zoas that was on top was GONE. I blame either my urchin or turbo snail. I removed the top few rocks looking for it. NOWHERE. I paid a lot for that rock. And it was one of my favorite corals in the whole tank. They were awesome! So after looking for them for about an hour last night and moving everything else around, I gave up.

But I've been thinking about them all day now. I can't just let them go. I can't. They mean too much to me. So tonight I'm going to try to find them again. I'll get pics before I mess everything up. :(

Damn, that sucks! Its gotta be somewhere right? My turbos flip my lil rocks all the flippin time. Ive even caught my emerald crab tryin to flip over my zoa rock. Goodluck and i hope u can find it.

Back