Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

I have heard some people say that hammers don't have elongated stinging tentacles. The zoas behind this hammer beg to differ! It has been going to town on them and the mushrooms next to it. The mushrooms, I don't mind. I could use help keeping them in check. But I'd better move the zoas...

DSC_0217.jpg

I have heard some people say that hammers don't have elongated stinging tentacles. The zoas behind this hammer beg to differ! It has been going to town on them and the mushrooms next to it. The mushrooms, I don't mind. I could use help keeping them in check. But I'd better move the zoas...

DSC_0217.jpg
are those the feeding tentacles?

Alex, here are some of your corals that weren't open last time I took pics. They are all open now. And the green palys have sprouted a baby! Those are my duncans behind your blue zoas -- they are a different color variety than the ones you sent.

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

They are only on that one side of the hammer, and they are always irritating the surrounding zoas and shrooms. I'm sure that if I had corals on the other side of the hammer, it would be stinging those too!

what settings are you using on your camera? I know you're shooting in jpeg but, what size image? Also, do you have a tripod? If so, you should set up your camera so that the sides of the tank are parallel with the edges of the picture

I am shooting in the highest jpeg setting on the camera. The one right below the RAW format.

I'm shooting in manual -- in S mode. The white balance is custom set, and seems to work fine for the close-up shots, but my far-away shots are total FAIL!

I do have a tripod. If I set it up so the camera is at the same height as the tank, too much of the lights get in the picture and it makes the whole thing look white. So I have to shoot it at a slight angle downward. Even then, you can see the lights are washing out the picture quite a bit. That's why the colors and details aren't showing up, I think.

I can't say for sure but, I'm sure Dennis's pics come out so good because of the RAW format and the color correction he does before he converts it. You'd be amazed at the things you can touch up. I was looking and a few of his FTS are from the same angle as yours.

Back