Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

I can't say for sure but, I'm sure Dennis's pics come out so good because of the RAW format and the color correction he does before he converts it. You'd be amazed at the things you can touch up. I was looking and a few of his FTS are from the same angle as yours.

Maybe I will try shooting in RAW. But I need to find a way to neutralize all that light!

Are you sure he's not dead

Yes I'm sure! :grumble:

Dennis, how do I take better FTS????? Mine suck! You can't see anything in them! :cry:

DSC_0206.jpg

ok, first of all i was looking at these thinking.... "Dang! Is that really her tank???" Looks awesome.

ok, second... yes I do shoot raw which captures more info, and it doesn't apply any settings like jpg does, like contrast for instance. Contrast will give you darker darks and lighter lights which will hurt you in this case.
For FTS it sometimes helps if you can lighten up your shadows a bit. It depends on your raw converter, but some of them have an adjustment called "fill light" or something like that. If you increase this, it will lighten the shadow areas but not the highlight areas. Photoshop has a whole filter with multiple sliders called Shadow/Highlights that lets you adjust HOW MUCH of the shadows it lightens, too. But I don't use this too often. Sometimes I add just a touch of fill light in Adobe Lightroom. But you can see how much shadow and stuff I have here. I don't remember for sure, i don't think i added fill.
http://d2creative.smugmug.com/Other/135gReef/DSC3120/910661777_TmmUv-L.jpg
Same with here...
http://d2creative.smugmug.com/Other/135gReef/L1002229/959908396_kbrMY-L.jpg

That's exactly what I was going to say Dennis but you beat me to the punch.:wink:

The rabbitfish looks really cool Biff.You must have more different corals in there then anybody else here.

Use something to block the light like cardboard. Then you can just crop to the size of the tank.

Oooh that's a good idea! I will try that.

ok, first of all i was looking at these thinking.... "Dang! Is that really her tank???" Looks awesome.

ok, second... yes I do shoot raw which captures more info, and it doesn't apply any settings like jpg does, like contrast for instance. Contrast will give you darker darks and lighter lights which will hurt you in this case.

Thanks for the info! I have new stuff to try now.

The rabbitfish looks really cool Biff.You must have more different corals in there then anybody else here.

Thank you. I should add up my livestock one of these days. I only have 2 SPS corals in the whole tank! The rest are LPS and softies.

So I just took the whole afternoon and read this from the beginning. You have had some crappy luck, but everything looks totally awesome now.
You said you use epoxy to glue stuff down? Just from Home Depot?

Thanks for your time (and focus)! Hahaha. I can say with some certainty that you don't suffer from ADD if you managed to read this thing. Yep I use 2-part epoxy putty from the hardware store. The kind that cures under water.

i see it now, but you could add a nice bright yellow fiji leather or yellow toadstool. Bright yellow toadstools hard to find but i got one and have fragged it twice so far.

I actually have a big bright neon yellow toadstool too. :(

See, my FTS sucks, you can't see any details in it! :cry:

thats why i don't take FTS much cause hard to see anything, making a video on other hand is nice. i got just about every kind of leather you can buy, love soft corals easy to care for especially since i work alot of overtime and can't tend to my tanks like i should sometimes.

but your tank is nice and full, time to get a 20 long and setup up frag tank. thats how i get almost all my corals trading coral for coral with other reefers around town.

Back