Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

Snap a picture quick! It may be the last time you ever see him.:D I hope everything works out, I'm sure it will.

Thanks for the encouragement. NOT. :lol:

Their just being fish Biff.Give em a day or 2 and they'll settle in.:D

I sure hope so! I'm always nervous when I add new fish. I have really good luck with corals, but inverts and fish... Not so much. :(

Congratulations on the imaginary fishes since we have no pics to prove otherwise.Three tangs!

Red alert!Red alert!
star-trek_nemesis_com-1.jpg

Hahaha! Well I know for a fact that 2 of the 6 new fishes are alive right now!! I guess I could still take pics of my new frags, huh?

All I know is between you and DCan that imaginary Fish Store is making a killing.:D

Oooh!, I'm on fire tonight...Zing...!:bounce:

Okay, here is proof that I got SOMETHING for my tank yesterday, hahaha.

Very beautiful pink/purple brain. The pink is BRIGHT, and the purple is a very nice pastel/Eastery kind of color. It has extremely unique coloring and I'm excited for it to start growing!
IMG_4295.jpg

Galaxea:
IMG_4296.jpg

Royal gramma:
IMG_4298.jpg

Just fed the tank, and the sailfin came out. But its fins were shredded and the yellow tang was still beating up on it.

And I found one of the firefish. Being eaten by Gordon the cat. :( NDB said, "NO MORE FIREFISH. They all jump. They are a waste of money. NO MORE FIREFISH."

Biff may I ask how do you acclimate your corals? I got corals today for the first time and acclimated them in what I thought was the most nerdy "by the book" way possible and the results were still pretty disasterous.

Biff may I ask how do you acclimate your corals? I got corals today for the first time and acclimated them in what I thought was the most nerdy "by the book" way possible and the results were still pretty disasterous.

Sure! I open up all the bags and float them in my sump (where it's pretty dark). I take a piece of masking tape, and tape each bag to the side of the sump so that the bags stay upright and no water gets in or out.

Then, during the acclimation period, I pour a little bit of tank water into each bag every 10 minutes or so. Just a little bit of tank water -- like 1/8 of a cup at a time. I do this until the original water volume in the bag has doubled (so it's half store water, half my tank water). I acclimate inverts much longer -- over several hours. Corals, I don't spend very much time acclimated them, like less than an hour. Fish, I spend an hour or two.

Then fish get netted and put in my tank, and everything else gets pulled out by hand. I try to not get any of the store water in my tank, especially for fish

A lot of people use the drip acclimation method, but I'm not quite set up for that.

Awesome, thanks! Any ideas how I could keep the temperature up while drip acclimating? I don't think I would be able to tape floating bags to the side of my tank due to the lid.

Hmm well the temp issue is why I float them in my system instead of in a bucket. I'd think that the temp would drop pretty quickly if you were acclimating them in a bucket or something. I don't know how other people handle that, but I'd be curious to hear.

I kinda sorta acclimate everything the same way Biff does.Except I just acclimate long enough for the salinity difference to equalize.
But since I help at me LFS I dont worry about the water from corals and inverts getting in my tank.I know its not going to hurt anything.Fish on the other hand,are acclimated in empty vinegar jugs that I've cut the tops off of.That water does not get into my tank.And I dont use a net to place my fish in the tank.I scoop them out by hand and add them.

Saw the sailfin this morning! Yay!!! I am so happy. Still no sign of the two missing firefish. By the way Gordon was acting last night, I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped and he got to them before I did. That would have been an expensive meal.

I'm going to keep the lights off today in the hopes that a dark day will help the tangs settle in. And I added a whole bunch of calcium so the fish can't even see each other through the cloudy water, hahaha. The yellow is still being a jerk. The PBT is adjusting a little bit better, but is still in hiding.

And my damn urchin knocked over a bunch of corals last night, even though they were epoxied down.

Last edited:
Ain't it weird how 1 fish will just start swimming around the tank like he's been in it for a year, and another fish will hide for 2 days like he's getting shot at by a sniper...Fish are weird creatures. I'm glad your fish are starting to get a bit more comfortable.

Saw the sailfin this morning! Yay!!! I am so happy. Still no sign of the two missing firefish. By the way Gordon was acting last night, I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped and he got to them before I did. That would have been an expensive meal.

I'm going to keep the lights off today in the hopes that a dark day will help the tangs settle in. And I added a whole bunch of calcium so the fish can't even see each other through the cloudy water, hahaha. The yellow is still being a jerk. The PBT is adjusting a little bit better, but is still in hiding.

And my damn urchin knocked over a bunch of corals last night, even though they were epoxied down.
Sarah when you say you added a bunch of calcium, what do you actually mean?

Allen

Back