Biff's Seahorse Tank

Biff check out the Marco Rocks site...maybe that'll give you some ideas..

Thanks. I like the idea of using the PVC and zip ties to stack them vertically. I'll have to go to the hardware store tonight too! I would love to do two towers -- one on each side -- with a big open space in the middle. I'm going to have to remove the water from the tank tonight... Then refill it. :(

Last edited:
One thing I see a lack of in salt tanks is planted macroalgae. It adds so much aesthetics to the tank! I am very tuned into your thread. More pics!!!

It's probably because macroalgae isn't normally part of a reef ecosystem. It's found in lagoon type areas, not on coral reefs... So if you have a strict reef tank, it really shouldn't have macro. Macro also can compete for space with corals, and if I had to choose between the two in my reef tank, guess which I'd choose! :)

I will be building the rock wall with PVC frame tonight, so I do expect more pics to come along!

Last edited:
Use a piece of lighting grid for the back wall and attach the rock to that.

Bingo!

I've seen guys use that stuff and spray it with all that expanding foam crap and then cover it with sand and pebbles and stuff. Looks really good and you can kinda mold it the way you want and put holes in it to hide powerheads behind. Kinda like a rock wall at a climbing gym.

DO IT! :bounce:

Bingo!

I've seen guys use that stuff and spray it with all that expanding foam crap and then cover it with sand and pebbles and stuff. Looks really good and you can kinda mold it the way you want and put holes in it to hide powerheads behind. Kinda like a rock wall at a climbing gym.

DO IT! :bounce:

It would give some snails some exercise =P

Well too late for the lighting grid idea, David. Could have told me earlier!! :lol:

I just got home from the LFS and hardware store. (and the animal shelter).

I got 40 lbs of rock, and stuff to build a PVC frame. (and 2 new cats).

I'm about to build my rock wall for the back of the tank. (and Christian is on his way home now, about to meet the 2 new cats).

:cry:

Well too late for the lighting grid idea, David. Could have told me earlier!! :lol:

I just got home from the LFS and hardware store. (and the animal shelter).

I got 40 lbs of rock, and stuff to build a PVC frame. (and 2 new cats).

I'm about to build my rock wall for the back of the tank. (and Christian is on his way home now, about to meet the 2 new cats).

:cry:

Awe, KITTIES! :)

Pics will be coming soon! The new kitties are currently hiding under the bed in the guest bedroom! We are keeping them in there and giving them some time to adjust for a few days! They are soooo cute! One is old, and one is deformed. A perfect match for our family!

Started working on the rock wall... Will update as it progresses. (Gordon is on the right).

005-4.jpg

Phew! I just spent the last 3 or so hours doing this. I've got to say... It turned out WAY better than I expected, and was WAY easier than I expected! Hopefully this will make a nice habitat for our horizontally-challenged friends!

First I had to drain the tank as much as I could :(

Then I built a rectangular frame out of PVC with two bars extending up the back. I buried the square in the sandbed, and left the two bars sticking up, for me to fasten rocks to.

001-5.jpg

Then I used the natural holes in the rocks to thread zip ties through.

002-4.jpg

Attach the rocks to the PVC frame, tighten, then cut off excess zip tie.

003-5.jpg

007-5.jpg

And three hours later... TAADAA! Solid. That rock isn't going anywhere.

012-4.jpg

013-2.jpg

Back