Biffy Finally Gets a Build Thread!

Here is the update. Not 100% finished (I am temporarily trying to keep the "frame" on with duct tape; it's not working. NDB suggests C-clamps. Then it will be finished).

The DSB is around 8 or 9 inches deep. I recycled the sand from my old fuge and added a lot more. The fuge itself is 35 gallons. I have chaeto and (TOO MUCH) caulerpa in it. And a lonely asterina star I pulled out of my display. This is the only asterina I've seen, and it was cute and cuddly, so I spared it the porcelain waterslide.

The lights are track lights with plant bulbs. The track, plus cord, plus two fixtures were on sale and I got the whole setup for less than $10. From Lowe's, of course :D.

The water is pumped from my sump using a MaxiJet, and then exits the fuge via gravity through the PVC NDB put in the side.

And, I have pics. I know. What a rarity.

0908002.jpg

0908005.jpg

0908003.jpg

0908004.jpg

Looks good.... But seriously no tank shot???

Here is my question, if it exits the fuge via gravity how does it get to your tank. It sits below your tank doesn't it?

holy cow! is it just sitting on the side of your tank? I could never have one like that since one of my kids would most like stick a head in there and drown...but quite inventive.

The star you have? asterina star? I think we have one too. We have seen it in the tank a few times but not in awhile. Why did you take it out of the display?
I already googled but couldn't find very good solid information on it.

Asterina stars have been known to eat corals. Not all of them, but enough that I don't trust them in my tank. They can wipe out a whole colony overnight.

And I found baby serpent stars in the fuge tonight too!

holy cow! is it just sitting on the side of your tank? I could never have one like that since one of my kids would most like stick a head in there and drown...but quite inventive.

The star you have? asterina star? I think we have one too. We have seen it in the tank a few times but not in awhile. Why did you take it out of the display?
I already googled but couldn't find very good solid information on it.

Thats why I thought about hooking up an electric fence around my sump:mrgreen:To keep the kids out of it.Decided on just the threat of bodily harm instead.

Hadnt thought of that idea on a fuge.

1629 replies?! Wow...is that a record or something? sorry, to throw a useles comment in here, but I just noticed. It didn't seem like a year ago you got that tank biff!

It is a record :). Most viewed thread on Living Reefs, and most responded to thread on Living Reefs. MOST POPULAR THREAD EVER!!! There's a link on the left hand side of the home page that you can see stats like that.

Back