Biocube Protein Skimmer problems

G_Beck_87

Reefing newb
So i just got my 1st biocube 29G with intank media baskets and protein skimmer.. Been set up for a few days now, when i first set up the skimmer i got little to no success bringing the bubbles up to the top of the black ring. I watched a few videos and searched many forums. People say to give it time but i see no skimming going on.and when it does fill the cup up at all it's pretty clear with only a tint of yellow. Is there a problem with it sitting too deep in the 1st chamber? Or is it just not adjusted right? any commets to help me with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

It usually takes a week or two for a new skimmer to break in and start working. During that time period, I've found it's best to just let it run, but with the cup adjusted enough so that it's not collecting anything -- just so that there is foam rising in the neck.

If you use any sort of tap water conditioner, that will make your skimmer go berserk and fill with water. Same thing with lots of other additives, normally those that contain things for stress coat, etc.

I'd say to wait it out, and see if you are still having problems in a week. :) Then you can start troubleshooting it.

+1 to what Biff is telling you.

And if it was sitting too low, most likely you would be experiencing the cup overflowing quickly.
You may just need a simple air adjustment to bring the bubbles up into the neck.

Thank you, but this BC is from a family member who upgraded and she gave me the skimmer and says it works, so i would assume its been broken in, but she also had the tank down for months. I guess that can possibly be why it needs to break back in. ill give it a few more days with out messing with it. As far as additives go i never use them, with this media setup i don't think my levels with fluctuate too much. I have FF in Top Chemi Pure elite in middle and LR in 3rd until i can find Chaeto. Also i filled Fuge basket with 3-4 lbs of LR to mayb help a lil more. so far nitrate levels r next to 0 where in my 55 they can go crazy after a week of my parents feeding the fish.. >=(

Ahhh makes sense thanks so much :D, the bubbles barely make it the top of the black neck where its sitting, i also have seen someone recommending a better pump to hook up to it, idk if that would work or not but i would assume that i shouldnt have to buy another pump just to get it to work properly.

It should work fine with the stock pump that it came with. For most skimmers, there are modifications that can be made to improve their performance, but you don't have to do those.

Back