Biodarwin's 55 gallons of glory

biodarwin

Reefing newb
My tank was delivered today and is all setup. I will get a test kit here in a day or 2. The system has been established 2 months at a local LFS. I want to add about 20-30 more lbs of rock before I start to add fish.

Current list of gear:

55 Gallon Tank
2 Generic Heaters(Haven't pulled them out to get a serial/model number)
HOB Biowheel Penguin 350 Filter (350 GPH)
Typhoon Protein Skimmer (380 GPH power head)
Aqua-glow 40w lighting
30lbs of Live rock
Unknown amount of live sand

I have heard extremely mixed reviews on the protein skimmer. Some say it should be thrown away, others say it works great. I know that mine is making foam without much problem. The gentleman that delivered the tank drew a little line on it for me, marking what he thought would be the optimal level of water. You will see this in the pictures below. I will be upgrading the lighting when I go to add corals. In the meantime, will one 40W light be enough for just fish? I am planning on upgrading to T5's within a few months or weeks :). I will be picking up another 20-40lbs of base rock this week if I can find it locally. I didn't ask my LFS, but I only saw LR there. The next project will be to plumb my sump / refungium. Unfortunately I dont think I can get a 20 gallon under my stand. Maybe I should get 2 10 gallons, one for each side. One being a refungium / skimmer section and the other being the straight sump. Not sure how that would work, just talking off the top of my head.

Do you guys and gals think I need more sand? I am sure it is hard to tell by the pictures.

To celebrate my first aquarium I decided to by a new HD camera. It was on sale and our old camera broke 2 weeks ago when on vacation.

Without further ado, here are the pictures.

Overall Tank

firstshot001.jpg

Protein Skimmer

firstshot003.jpg

What is this?

firstshot010.jpg

Or this?

firstshot013.jpg

Pictures of the rock

firstshot019.jpg

My dog Buddy. He is already jealous of the aquarium

firstshot009.jpg

Got some nice looking rock. Great shapes. The green stuff looks like some type of algae. Can't tell what the other is the pic is to blurry. Also it looks like the protein skimmer is working pretty good. If you can't find base rock at LFS you can order it on line. I also would add a little bit more sand . Great start.

the sand depends on you, unless you plan on going with a 4-8 inch deep sand bed, then what you have is fine because it is only for visual appearance. also it looks like your return pump is shooting out a ton of micro bubbles

the sand depends on you, unless you plan on going with a 4-8 inch deep sand bed, then what you have is fine because it is only for visual appearance. also it looks like your return pump is shooting out a ton of micro bubbles

They are all pretty much gone now.

Bought a test kit today. Here are the results:

pH 8.0
Alk 2.3
nitrite .05 ppm
nitrate Through the roof
amonia .25 ppm

I will be adding 30lbs of base rock and 10lbs of live sand, followed by a 10% water change the day after that.

Last edited:
Theres actually 2 schools of thought on doing water changes during a cycle.
Yes,they will prolong it.But keeping the ammonia below 1ppm will help perserve the critters and corals are living in and on the rock.
Personally,I'd do like Dustin said and let it run its course.

Interesting. Makes sense why the guy at the LFS recommended for the water change. I trust them, they seem to have respect in the local reef club. Either way it doesn't really matter to me. I want fish, but I am not in a hurry.

Like the look of the rock on the far left. Will the rock on the right second down fit from there to the stack on the left to make it more sturdy?

Back