Biofilter Tower

I have a fiddler crab, an emerald crab, 2 peppermint shrimp, fire shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, 4 urchins, a handful of small hermit crabs and a handful of large snails.

Will this cleaner crew, my Protein Skimmer and my live rock really filter my tank? Like what if the sand gets all stirred up by my wrasse or something? What filters that out to keep my tank looking clear? Do I get one of those large white bags to initially catch the water when it enter my skimmer?...or will it just clog with sand?

You don't need any of those bags or mechanical filters. If the goby stirs up sand, it will settle on the bottom. I really think that very few of us here use mechanical filtration like your biofilter tower. The idea that you need one is a myth that has been put into your head by someone that wanted to sell you something! Rid yourself of that erroneous idea and take a walk on the wild side! They are called "NITRATE FACTORIES" for a reason! Most of us use only live rock and a skimmer for that very reason -- filters the tank without jacking up nitrates. That's the method that I always recommend to newbs. I would never recommend using a biofilter tower or something of that sort.

Thanks Biff. I have about 275 lbs of live rock in my 120 gallon tank. I have A LOT of fish for my tank. Should I buy more live rock and add it to my sump? Now that I'm getting rid of my filters...I'm worried I don't have enough natural means for my tank.

K...Thanks. I took out three filter pads last night. I'll take out the last two later today (don't want to shock the fish if they are loaded with nitrates). I'll test my water in a few days and be sure to post whether or not I have improvement. If this is the cause, I'll be psyched! Not only will I have lower nitrates, but no more filter pads to wash out. Woo-hoo! :)

I'd wait a few days before removing the other 2 pads. there are likely some beneficial bacteria in those pads, and removing them all too fast could cause an ammonia spike. SO, I'd wait a few days, test the water, and if there's no excess nitrogen, THEN remove the pads. And never look back!! :)

Back