Blackout

GassyMon

Wazzuuup
My phosphates are high in my tank, so now my green hair algae is taking over. I have been thinking what would happen if I used the BLACKOUT method to get rid of it. How do I do a proper BLACKOUT and is there a way to lower my phosphates at the same time?

I would build yourself an algae scrubber and invest in a GFO reactor.

The blackout method will work, try and remove as much as you can before and after the blackout. But if you dont address why you have such high phosphates the algae will most likely return.

Definitely agree, the blackout is just a bandaid solution, you really need to discover the source of your algae problem, otherwise it'll just keep coming back.

I think a good sized fuge with cheato and strong light is just as good as an algae scrubber and easier. Cheato will "eat up" or export phosphates. A phosphate reactor will also get rid of them,

+1 to all

I personally am running an algae scrubber (reconfigured 1 week ago) as well as a fuge with Chaeto (original set-up) and a GFO reactor (running about 2 weeks) as I have been battling high phosphates that have been leaching from my rocks. (The algae IS LOSING THE BATTLE)

Blackout will be temporary if you do not address where the phosphate/nitrate is coming from as that is what feeds the algae along with lighting. When the algae dies it releases the nutrients back into the water so you need to remove it otherwise you will be bakc to where you started. This happened to me before the GFO and scrubber.

Good Luck, it takes patience and time to solve the problem!!

I think an algae scrubber works better than a large fuge because the rate of algae growth and therefore nutrient export is so much higher. Plus its is a more compact design which works better for most people.

But a fuge is easier to set up

I have to agree with Sen. That is the best and cleanest way to rid your system of phosphates and excess nutrients. A srubber is a PITA, and an eye sore IMO. Throw in some cheato from Biff, start up a phosban reactor and let them go.

On another note, no-one has addressed where the source maybe coming from. What is your feeding schedule? How many fish? What do you use for top offs (tap water or RO/DI)? Are you running a skimmer, and is it sufficient enough for your system?

A blackout for a week will cause a die off of the algae, but you are going to have to do water changes, and determine where the source is coming from. If you can't eliminate the source you will never eliminate the problem.

I have to agree with Sen. That is the best and cleanest way to rid your system of phosphates and excess nutrients. A srubber is a PITA, and an eye sore IMO. Throw in some cheato from Biff, start up a phosban reactor and let them go.

On another note, no-one has addressed where the source maybe coming from. What is your feeding schedule? How many fish? What do you use for top offs (tap water or RO/DI)? Are you running a skimmer, and is it sufficient enough for your system?

A blackout for a week will cause a die off of the algae, but you are going to have to do water changes, and determine where the source is coming from. If you can't eliminate the source you will never eliminate the problem.

Good call. Flake food can have phosphates in it.

I feed my fish once a day around 6, 3 fish and I buy water from the local fish store, I have the standard 29 gallon bio cube skimmer.

Could be over feeding a bit. I would cut that in half and feed every other day to start. Also, you may think about switching to mysis as brine is like crack of the marine world (very little nutritional value). :twocents:

Also, are you thawing the cube before putting in the tank?

Could be over feeding a bit. I would cut that in half and feed every other day to start. Also, you may think about switching to mysis as brine is like crack of the marine world (very little nutritional value). :twocents:

Also, are you thawing the cube before putting in the tank?

Ya I thaw it. Thanks for the help everybody.

Back