Bleached live rock

OneFishTwoFish

Reefing newb
My live rock was looking pretty awful after a toothbrush scrubbing and soaking, so I decided (after some reading) to use a 1/10 bleach solution, and start off from scratch. I soaked it for 12 hours in the solution, rinsed well in hot water, and am now soaking the clean rock in a pail of well water, 12 hours at a time, followed by a rinse. How many days should I have to rinse/repeat, to be sure the bleach is out, and the rock is safe to put in my tank to begin seeding?
We live in the woods, basically, so the choice of sunning the rock would only result in a lot of debris on them, not much sun, and possibly a deer lick. (Yuck!)
Thanks for the advice in advance.

I wonder about soaking the rock in well water? To me, this sounds like it could lead to nasty stuff leaching into your tank. Copper, phosphates, well water has all kinds of stuff you don't want in your tank. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

+1 Sarah. I wouldn't trust the well water. Too many elements in well water. I would go get some RO/DI water to soak it in or some distilled water. If your going throught this much trouble I wouldn'tt ake any chances. I would use RO water

I don't know if the well water has chlorine Biff. I was more worried about all the other stuff in well water. I grew up with the stuff and yick, it's got sulpher (sp?) and iron and phospates and other nasty stuff from the ground and is pumped out of copper pipes. I just picture it all leaching into the rocks.

Thanks to all for their input. Hope I havent done any permanent damage; the water has been changed to RODI and will be using dechlorinator as well to be sure.

Back