blue hippo tang sits all day

My "No I don't think so" was directed at agreeing with you. I was saying that when people finally get around to quarantining their fish they are at a state in which they are too far gone and the stress is too much for them.

I actually agree with the whole quarantine thing in the beginning, just as you have stated.

Sorry,sometimes text just doesn't read the same as to the person reading it VS. the person typing.Does that make sense,IDK

Am i the only one around here who strongly advocates QTing?Don't get me wrong,i like the site and all the members,but i feel like i'm out in the cold on this:dunno:

I have seen too many fish die in quarantine for me to recommend it as a viable solution to most problems... Just from my personal experience, putting a fish in quarantine when it is already sick seems to stress it even more and kill it even faster than if it had been left alone in the tank, where at least it was comfortable.

I've been in this hobby for 10 years now -- my fish have had ich before, but I have never had one die from it. In fact, none of mine have ever even had it bad enough that they stopped eating. It always has gone away on its own after a day or two. From watching many many other people put their fish into quarantine when their fish were at the same stage of illness that mine have been, and how the majority of their fish seemed to get even more sick and eventually die, I really think that if your fish is visibly sick, quarantining and medicating it can often do more harm than good.

That's why I recommend quarantining as a last resort -- if the fish has stopped eating. It's going to die anyways in the display tank if it's not eating, so might as well pull it out and try to medicate it. If the fish is still eating, I think you're better off leaving it alone.

I understand what your saying.Its not good to chase an already sick fish with a net and cause more stress on him or his tankmates,I get that.My whole point is ,if this blue hippo was brought home and put into a QT from day one,he'd be able to be treated and put in DT in a few weeks.QT from day of purchase and we all win.I see no need to be so impaitent and put my new fish in my display,and i just try to help a few others understand what COULD happen if you do.Boy, i sure feel like all my posts are about this pesky little thing!:mrgreen:

It would be better IF everybody did QT all new fish before they went into the display.Cant argue with that.
But the sad truth is that hardly anybody (me included) DONT QT new fish.

I don't QT either. But maybe that's just because in 10 years, I've never had any fish get sick enough to justify the hassle of quarantining from the start. Perhaps I'd be singing a different tune if all my fish were wiped out by a disease. But, you don't hear about that happening all that often anyways.

If you look at it realistically, most people that join this forum already have a fish (or many) in their tank. I think the proportion that join before having set up a tank is much much smaller than those that join after they have set up a tank. So for the vast majority of people here, advising to quarantine new fish would be pointless. They already have fish (and thus could have any possible disease) in their tank. For quarantining to be effective, you have to do it for every single fish before adding them to the tank. It doesn't help anyone that already has fish in their setup.

Last edited:
I'm going to immediately run and hide after saying this.

A dead fish is just a chance to get something new!(I'm kidding of course I took the time to drive a 4$ damselfish to the LFS for no cash or store cred instead of putting in a tank where it would be alone and lonely lol)

Luckily my LFS has little traffic and does fewer fish orders so I can observe a fish for months before I buy it. I know where most fish at my LFS are, including the random inverts and can actually remind the workers where the best hermits and serpents are when they look for them.

QTing is the way to be safe in the long run though. When I upgrade to my new tank I'll deff QT+medicate all new comers for a month or so while I am getting the tank cycled.

I don't QT either. But maybe that's just because in 10 years, I've never had any fish get sick enough to justify the hassle of quarantining from the start. Perhaps I'd be singing a different tune if all my fish were wiped out by a disease. But, you don't hear about that happening all that often anyways.

If you look at it realistically, most people that join this forum already have a fish (or many) in their tank. I think the proportion that join before having set up a tank is much much smaller than those that join after they have set up a tank. So for the vast majority of people here, advising to quarantine new fish would be pointless. They already have fish (and thus could have any possible disease) in their tank. For quarantining to be effective, you have to do it for every single fish before adding them to the tank. It doesn't help anyone that already has fish in their setup.
Looks like you made some edits since the last time i read this:lol: Its helping me.I'm doing it right now.It takes alittle time and paitence.

Back