Blue Regal Tang Very Sick - Advice Please!

Man, I had such a hard time with it...when we were first putting fish in our tank, my daughter HAD to have a 'nemo-fish', and a 'dory' fish. I tried to explain to her about how the two fish had different needs, and I wasn't sure if 'dory' would work in our tank...
Even though we saw many 'awesome' dory-fish at different LFS here, and they seemed healthy enough, I held out...not so much because I was worried about 'dory' (sorry guys), but because I was worried if the conditions weren't right, the fish would die, and I would have an extremely upset 10yr old daughter...
What I'm getting at is, there is a lot of information out there that will tell you its OK to put a fish like this in a 4ft tank.

In Ace's defense, I have to agree that there is a lot of information out there (and LFSs) that will tell you this is fine ...

and to be honest, the only reason I didn't do it is because I doubted my own abilities and didn't want to disappoint my daughter!!!

(I'm just sayin'...):Cheers:

Garlic and Amino acids, and vitamin c, soak the food in it for a while and hopefully the fish will eat, garlic oil dripped on the food helps. I've had several Tangs in my tank , up to 4, for storage until people picked them up. My Blue Hippo would stress, get some spots, then get better as soon as the other fish were removed, I only had them in there for a day or two. But the Hippo always recovered. I still have him, and is very healthy. He seems very happy in my 55, which has 48" swimming room, and lots of cave and real good flow. Hopefully this helps you and dont let the nasties get to you.

I cannot figure out why you are debating the tank size thing - your fish is proof that they stress out in a smaller tank. And im sure that fact your fish has been stuck in small tanks for quite a while, and now with the stress of being moved to a new tank yet again, she just couldnt handle it. Her immune system has shut off, letting the disease take over.

Good luck, you should read this too: https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

Thats just it Im not debating tank size. Some have their opinions and I have mine. Fact is that I have researched a lot and talked to A LOT of people regarding minimum tank size for the blue regal tang.

The response I have gotten was that they do more than fine in 90 gal tanks while young.

Ive been patient with everyones opinions about it, but to make blanket statements that my fish is sick ONLY because its in a 90 gal tank is NOT true and its misinforming those who dont know any better. What happens is you have new people read these type of responses and in 6 months are telling others, you cannot have a 2" Tang in a 90 -120 gal Tank or they GET diseased and die immediately!!

My opinion is simply based on many many people's opinions who have had tangs for years in many different sized tanks. Ive asked on many forums, LFS, and even my local marine biologists. Ive made my conclusion. Also for the record, I didnt go out of my way to post those links, I googled "Minimum tank size for blue regal tang" and those were the first 3 links that appeared. If you do the same you will realize that this is a long time debate and cannot be summed up as "Tank to small" There are other factors.

Im trying to get help with my sick fish, not trying to be a know it all, and thats the only reason I asked.

If I bag a fish this sick and return it to my LFS, where water quality sucks, tank size is much smaller than mine, improper nutrition etc. are the conditions. You can bet that this fish will be dead inside 24 hours. You can say what you want about me and my cruel 90 gal tank but right now Im the best thing that ever happened to this fish. Considering Im willing to do whatever I need to to provide perfect water, perfect nutrition, and conditions for it to heal and get better.

There really is no reason to keep going in circles on this one, as I am already aware of some peoples opinion on tank size.

Honestly, because Its in a new tank at all. Ive read a lot about blue tangs getting sick as soon as they are in a new environment? Would you say that is not true?

Reason Im not buying the tank size thing is because this fish was clearly healthy in its holding tank at the LSP (45-55gal maybe) and in my tank it was MORE than happy for at least a week. If it was a tank size issue the fish would have shown symptoms immediately after entering my tank, no?

Last edited:
Honestly, because Its in a new tank at all. Ive read a lot about blue tangs getting sick as soon as they are in a new environment? Would you say that is not true?

This is true. They are an extremely sensitive type of fish. And the smaller they are, the more sensitive they seem to be. It's up to you to minimize the factors that stress it and make it sick. It is also up to you to quarantine the fish and prevent disease before you add it to your tank, if you buy a fish such as this, fully aware that it's a very sensitive species that is prone to disease. Unfortunately, for fish like hippo tangs, I don't think it's enough to just add it to your tank and hope it does okay. Many times it does not. Additional measures need to be taken prior to its addition to your system.

Your response can go both ways.
Yes, new people will see that tangs need 6' of swimming room and repeat it over and over. But wouldn't it be better to err on the side of caution?
However, new people will also see your response and think "well this guy has a tang in a tank that is 90 gallons, so why can't I?" I don't know your set up or your animal husbandry, and chances are, when someone goes looking for reasons why their argument holds water, your example is now part of that argument. They're not going to remember that you said you were going to upgrade. They're going to remember "this guy has a blue tang in a 90 gallon tank".

I would agree, but i dont think you have new tank stress. Your fish ate and was fine for a few days right? Ive never heard of fish eat and be fine and THEN get new tank stress. If they have new tank stress they never start eating.

Golly, I think were all getting an education from this one... Thats a good thing though right? Ha...

I see where your going, but one of the first things I said was that I agree 100% that is the fish were a little older or larger it would definitely need a larger tank. Im not debating that is the best way to go.

Just to be clear, my only argument here is that for a "little while just as a juvenile" it should be happy in a 90 gal. And for those who are reading and new to this, let me restate that I would never keep a full grown Blue Tang in anything less than 6' long and 24" wide tank.

For the record, I don't think that a 90 gallon tank is too small for a baby hippo tang. But, tank size very well may be a contributing factor as to why the fish is sick, and you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss that. If he had been put in a 180, he very well may not have gotten sick. But as I said, they are sensitive fish, so maybe he would have. Tank size is not the only thing going on here, and it's not the root cause, although having the fish in a tank that is small certainly doesn't help her get any better. Some people have had success keeping hippo tangs in smaller tanks. But most people do not. I don't think it's safe to assume that these fish can happily be kept in smaller tanks because a few people here or there have been able to. They are not in the majority.

Last edited:
I would agree, but i dont think you have new tank stress. Your fish ate and was fine for a few days right? Ive never heard of fish eat and be fine and THEN get new tank stress. If they have new tank stress they never start eating.

Your correct, was eating lots. I was also soaking its food in Vita-Chem Aquarium Fish Vitamins & Supplements: Vita-Chem Marine & Freshwater

and supplying seaweed sheets. All of which she was enjoying very much for a week...

Also for the record, I did have two sick fish which went into QT and recovered very well. I dont believe either one had ich but seemed to be definitely some form of bacterial infection that was quickly cured by the Furan, looked like fin rot or similar. They were in the main tank when my tang arrived but were fully recovered.

For the record, I don't think that a 90 gallon tank is too small for a baby hippo tang. But, tank size very well may be a contributing factor as to why the fish is sick, and you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss that.

I wasn't dismissing it entirely, but since she was doing so well and not showing any signs of stress for a week, but then got sick overnight suddenly. I felt like something else happened and Im just trying to get to the bottom of what else it could have been.

But listen guys, I do appreciate ALL responses and do agree a larger tank is the way to go, even though I dont think thats the sole cause of the illness in this case. Now I have another excuse to get the 240 gal I want :)

well my friend has a 90g...he has a blue hipo tang 5"hes is going good.. ...i have 125g tank...my blue hipo is 1" when i got him..now hes 2"...my tang has ick...but he eats realy good..what i did was i raise the temp of the tank to 84 and slowly lower the temp...to 79.....and i dont see any ick...i know he has ick.... but its control...fish get sick easy...if u put them in a small or big tank...the transfer to a nother tank is what stress them out...give him garlic that what i did .. it works...for me..good luck...

Glad this rocky road smoothed out a bit!

Keeping a tank is a lot like parenting IMO. You do research, you use what experience you have, you watch what works for others (and what doesn't), and you use your insticts and make decisions. Some make better decisions than others, but you go from there...and hopefully get better at what you're doing. The rewards are similar too, you get to watch something awesome thrive!

There is an overwhelming amount of information (good and bad) at our fingertips, and many times you have to research your research, and maybe even research that to make an informed decision. And even then there's no gaurantees...
With all this info available its very easy to find the info you WANT to find, so you can make the decision you WANT to make.
I think I'm pretty safe in saying everyone here loves their fish tank, and wants to make the right decision every time. Its encouraging when differences are put aside and a positive/constructive direction is taken...
(One of the many things that impressed me about this forum when I started researching things!)

This is an interesting thread...

anyway: Saltwater Aquarium Fish Disease Trouble Shooter

that will help you figure out what the disease is.

Next if it is ich:

NO-ICH Marine is the best medication for ich on the market (in my opinion...)

cleaner shrimp will also work well if you dont like the med route, fresh water dips are usually the last route I will go make sure its the same PH, temp, etc as your qt tank.

Hope your fish gets better and just to keep things interesting I think a 90 gal for a baby hippo is fine.... haha let the debate continue

Last edited:
Actually, NO-ICH Marine, and another product that says it gets rid of ich doesnt actually get rid of ich. It only kill the lifestage you can see, it does nothing about the other 3 stages, so you still have ich. The only proven methods of completely killing the ich are copper and hypo.

So is the fish doing better?

She's doing much better today. I think the first 48 hours in QT are always the scariest cause it can go either way. At least shes swimming around more normal and some color has come back, no heavy breathing either... From what I see it doesnt really look like Ich so im going to hold off on any Ich treatments for now and just work on getting her to eat...

Also for the record, I did have two sick fish which went into QT and recovered very well. I dont believe either one had ich but seemed to be definitely some form of bacterial infection that was quickly cured by the Furan, looked like fin rot or similar.

Do you think that maybe whatever is in your tank that was causing fin-rot contributed to the illness of the Blue Tang?

How long before you added the Tang were you dealing with the fin-rot situation?

Back