Blue sponge shrinking? Would you remove it?

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
7 months ago it looked like this
bluesponge.jpg

This is now...
IMG_2102_web.jpg

I know these can be toxic when they die.....so I am wondering if I should remove it or if anyone know what to do to bring it back?

Most sponges need low light but a few species need bright light including the blue ones. Is yours getting enough light?

I have a large blue spomge, similar to yours. I've looked and can't find anything about a toxin being released upon death/dying. Are you adding any sort of phytoplankton to your system? If you keep a super clean tank, that may be the reason for the die off. You may want to add Phyto-Feast of something similar to aid in the available food for filter feeders.

Also found this:
Marine Sponges

I have a large blue spomge, similar to yours. I've looked and can't find anything about a toxin being released upon death/dying. Are you adding any sort of phytoplankton to your system? If you keep a super clean tank, that may be the reason for the die off. You may want to add Phyto-Feast of something similar to aid in the available food for filter feeders.

Also found this:
Marine Sponges

My water has a lot of particles in it and I have sponges and other filter feeders growing all over the place.

Can you move it into a more shaded part of the tank? I dont think they like bright light and it might be receding away from the light.

Back