Brand new Ro System.

Kully3xf

Reefer Madness
Hey guys so i got sick and tired of purchasing water all the time so i went ahead and bought a coralife ro system. 50 gallons per day, i don't think it is d/i tho cause it only says ro on the box, a little bummed but it was a good deal. i started running it about an hour ago and my TDS meter is reading around 9-14 ppm depending. The instruction booklet says to discard the first 10 gallons. im going to discard maybe the first 12 or so. but is this normal? does it take time for it to break in and start putting out 0ppm? its a 2 prefilter and 1 membraine system, one carbon filter and one 1micron filter. its a pure flow ii btw

45 nibbles no bites? my TDS reads 9ppm steady... im assuming this is to much of a risk and am dumping all the water produced, i guess my best bet would be to purchase a stand alone DI system and connect? or try to return the unit and opt for the next level, with integrated di?

Do you know what you TDS is going in? I know some people that have such poor water quality that even with 5-6 stage RO units they don't get their TDS down to zero.

Yea incomming water is around 117.... Is it too risky to use 9ppm water?? Should I hook it up somewhere else like work maybe?

I've got a bunch of terra aqua safe for my freesh water tanks... Perhaps roing the water and putting some of that in would be safe enough? It says on the bottle nuetralizes chlorine , chloramines, and all heavy metals harmful to fish.... For fresh and marine fish

actually 117 isn't that bad. The other issue may be that it's only a 3 stage unit. Generally that's why most people get 4-6 stage RO units, the more stages the more crap gets filtered out. Now, while 0 is really what you want, if 9 is as low as you can get then you'll be ok using it.

There's no need to use aqua safe, and I'm not sure that stuff can actually get heaxy metals out. I know it will get chlorines out, but your RO unit will do that too.

Back