Brand new to everything!!

Well after searching and researching and waiting for somthing to pop up on craigslist I ordered some live rock and some base rock for the tank. i will post up some pics once everything is in the tank.

Even though I dont post everyday I'm still on here everyday reading and learning about everything. just wanted to say thanks again for all the information that i leared so far from everyone here.

I got some FL. live rock that im going to try out and and another 100 pounds of base rock.

I have been running the tank empty for about 2 weeks now and have one question about my tests. currently running a skimmer and carbon reactor. there was alot of dried out stuff on the back of the tank and the person that i bought it from told me to not scrap it off.

ammonia slowly kreeped up to 1 and nitrites were at 0 but the last test i just did the ammonia was at .50 and nitrites were at .25. nitrates have always been at zero. Can someone tell me what this means please?

Your tank is cycling. It doesn't have anything to do with the dead dry stuff on the back -- it sounds like that was dry coralline.

During the cycle, you will see ammonia rise, then nitrites rising will follow. Eventualy, both of them will drop to zero, and your nitrates will rise. When ammonia and nitrites are both at zero, it means your cycle is finished, and then you can add your first animals. The cycle usually takes about 3 weeks or so.

When you add your rock, you may see a spike in ammonia and nitrites. This is totally normal, since there will inevitably have been things that died off on the rock. Just wait it out, and eventually things will go back down to zero.

ok, i didnt think that the tank would cylce without any rock in the tank.

I forgot to mention that i have 180 pounds of sand in the tank.

I have read up alot about the cycling process and know what to expect....i guess i just wasnt expecting to start without rock in the tank.

here is a quick pick of the tank that i just took on my phone so quality isnt there...

IMG00008-20091101-1202.jpg

If the sand had been live sand,then was probably enough dead stuff in it to kick off a cycle.
BTW
The tank looks a lot better with water in it:D

Back