New tank everything is green

Gtannos

Reefing newb
Hello everyone !!! I’m new in salt water tanks I did the first 2 weeks with not fish and now I have 5 4 clowns and not sure the name of the other one, after the 2 week everything start turning green I have 125 gallons with a 55 sump, skimmer and running F too I don’t know if is normal all this green, someone told me the problem is the light, other one told me the I need to wait 8 months before the green go away, what you guys think ?

C0FDD5AF-11F8-46EB-B5D2-89214D839D1B.jpeg
BD5C2DE4-9103-4A24-83A3-BCC7226B8556.jpeg
DA076F34-BDA8-4289-9D17-B9131E370B80.jpeg
0F5BC4E3-4572-4DC2-8811-4B407A4FCDBC.jpeg
218458FD-2504-4939-B7CC-DA632E718C9C.jpeg
77978DD3-B022-4262-A04C-5527153552F8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't have done it the same way. I'd recommend going a lot slower when introducing livestock to a new tank. On my first reef tank, I think I waited 4 or 5 weeks.

The short answer is, your tank is probably still cycling. You may not have enough good aerobic bacteria built up to handle the bioload you've introduced at such an early stage.

Did you buy a test kit? Have you tested the water?

All the livestock are stressed if the tank is still cycling. Some may die.

You have cyano algae. Suck it out with a gravel vacuum or a turkey baster. Suck out as much as you can.

Get a small, cheap canister filter and pack it full of activated carbon. Run it for a week. Dump the carbon. Refill with new carbon. Repeat for another week. Keep doing that every week until the problem goes away. Dont pack it full of carbon and leave it for a month. That's a nitrate factory and will exacerbate the problem. By dumping the carbon and rinsing the canister every week, you don't give bacteria enough time to colonize. Just keep running and dumping every week.

No, that's not gonna be cheap. Get rid of all the livestock and wait 6 weeks for it to clear up. That's free, and is a better choice for the animals.

I thought about my response above. If I seem harsh, it's because seeing another post like this is quite frankly, irritating and saddening.

If the OP had done even a LITTLE research, and had any concern for the live animals in the tank, that person would have waited a lot longer than 2 weeks to introduce so many animals.

I see not much has changed in the 6 yrs I've been away from this hobby. People still want an instant reef. Damn the animals!! If they die... BUY MORE!! :cry:

I thought about my response above. If I seem harsh, it's because seeing another post like this is quite frankly, irritating and saddening.

I don't think your response was harsh.

Did I read wrong? 54 clowns in a 125 gal tank?! That is way too much stock fro that size of tank, isn't it?

If the OP had done even a LITTLE research, and had any concern for the live animals in the tank, that person would have waited a lot longer than 2 weeks to introduce so many animals.

I see not much has changed in the 6 yrs I've been away from this hobby. People still want an instant reef. Damn the animals!! If they die... BUY MORE!! :cry:
It's replies that this that chase people from the site though. It intimidates other people into not wanting to post or return. This site was always awesome because people were kind and encouraging. You can point out what not to do in a positive way and teach what to do without talking down to people or criticizing.

It's replies that this that chase people from the site though. It intimidates other people into not wanting to post or return. This site was always awesome because people were kind and encouraging. You can point out what not to do in a positive way and teach what to do without talking down to people or criticizing.
Fair point

Back