breeding copepods

poolshark181

Reefing newb
i have a 10g tank just sitting here doing nothing. id really like to keep a mandarin, but with my current tank, it'd starve very quickly. i was wondering what would be the best way of breeding copepods in a seperate tank, and then just scooping some up and throwing them in the DT would be. thanks!

I seen where people took some rock and let it sit in a seperate tank untill it was covered in pods.Then they just swap rocks.
Might be better off to set up a fuge.That way you got the pods along with nutrient removal.

it can be done, but it really time consuming. If you want to keep a manderin, the best way to go is to find a specimen that is already taking frozen food. that way, you know it will survive rather than depend on pods. it is a much better way to go.

-Doc

I cant accomodate it. the smallest in tank refugium is 7.5x4x7.

i only have a 28g bowfront. i never thought about an intank refugium though. maybe i could make my own with some acrylic? whatcha think/.

hmm this is interesting. so, could i make a refugium that is like, 7inches long, 3 inches tall and 3 inches wide and it would suffice to breed copepods?

2 options. get a bigger tank and turn your 28 gallon into a refugium OR get a manderin that is already eating frozen food and forget about breeding pods altogether

-Doc

Back