bristle worms

kjm

Reefing newb
I have what I believe is Bristleworms in my tank. They are pink in color. I bought a trap for them and have caught 0. I have seen the the debate of weather they are harmful or not, not sure which side to go with but I have alot of them. Is there another way to control them other than a trap. What should I do.

Feed your tank less that will help bring the population come down as they wont reproduce successfully without enough food, also, you can try to manually remove them by taking your LR out and setting it in freshwater, or grab some tweezers and start pulling. I agree nothing wrong with them really, but they can get to be a pest if they reproduce into great quantities. It is really a personal preference.

I agree with cathic. Try not to let excess ammounts of food sit in your tank as they are a scavenger and will eat just about anything they can get. I belive there are certain fish you can buy to help keep the population down but in my opinion just monitoring feed works just as well.

sixline wrasses eat bristleworms naturally. it will keep the population in check but please dont fall victim to the noobs that know nothing about bristleworms and want to immediately nuke the tank on first sight of one. they are absolutely wonderful and damn near essential. they are huge detritus eaters and can really save some headache down the road. They also will eat rotting matter like dead fish/crabs/snails if they happen to die and you dont notice where the body went, thus saving you potential bad parameters because of rotting bodies in your tank.

+1 Alexander
But if your dead set on getting rid of a few,steal a pair of your wifes panty hose and put a little food inside em.Then you can place the hose trap in the tank.The worms will crawl into and on the hose to eat the food and get their bristle caught in the nylon.

+1 Alexander
But if your dead set on getting rid of a few,steal a pair of your wifes panty hose and put a little food inside em.Then you can place the hose trap in the tank.The worms will crawl into and on the hose to eat the food and get their bristle caught in the nylon.

Just make sure it is a pair your wife doesnt want back :mrgreen:

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. I really appreciate the quotes that Alexander add in from a earlier thread. THANK YOU EVERYONE.

i HATE worms of any kind, especially fireworms and enucids! in my expeirence the only way i succesfully removed fireworms was by either waiting till i seen them out in the open at night and just snatched em up or by taking out the rock you know there in out. With enucids your best bet is always take the rock out those things are jimmy johns fast. good luck with your quest. gotta catch em all lol :)

Back