Brittle sea star

leon1972

Reefing newb
I was told that I should buy a brittle sea star for part of my cuc and that is should be hardy enough to toss in. I'm having a bit of a chaotic chemical problem in my tank. Due to me having started with tap water and then switching over to ro water recently. I am reading .25 on my ammonia ( lowest number can be read on my kit) 15 on the nitrates and .5 on the nitrites and 5 on the phosphates. Do I need to hold off the brittle or is he hardy enough?

He's probably hardy enough to add now but, why risk it. There's always a chance that the params may kill him or, it could just hurt him to the point of shortening his lifespan.

I'm actually buying a new ammonia test kit. I thought a out it when I did my test last night and I have NEVER gotten a reading other than .25. So I'm going to buy an API ammonia test kit tonight. If I get a different reading with that kit I will be replacing the rest of my test kit as well

if you're currently using the API ammonia kit - keep in mind they are notorious for giving false readings of .25. You might want to find another local reefer or a fish store to test your water and verify the reading you're seeing, but I would not add anything to the tank if you are testing positive for nitrites

Back