brown algae

imdaring

love my reef
I have a brown algae problem!!!! I started to do weekly water changes last week I did my 2nd one last night.. this crap is covering the entire bottom of my tank like a blanket and it will move with the water it forms strings and has bubbles on them ..:grumble: my test kit says that
nitrate 0 ?
phosphate 0 ?
now I do have hair algea growing in my sump and I was told that algea in the sump will take all the nitrates and phos. so that is why my tests are running at 0 correct??
should I run some phosban into my tank?? will this help?

any ideas please :?:
I'm also going to change my metal halides I can't rember when I got them I don't think they are due to be changed but I'm going to do it anyways.

remember the phosphate test we have dose not "see" organic phosphates. So, you probably have a lot of organics in the tank feeding the type of breakout you have. Diatoms, or algae - doesn't matter. How old is you tank- might be a "normal " cycle and you have to pull it off by hand , make sure you have enough flow and some type of mechanical filter during this period of the tank to "catch" the free floating algae/diatoms.

Margaritas snails will chow on brown diatoms but they really prefer cooler water. Lower your lighting temporarily.

now that the weather has been warmer during the day and my house has been warm I have noticed that my water temp has been running around 82-84 deg so I placed a fan to blow on the surface of the water. now after my last water change the Brown is still on the sand bed but it does not look like there are any stringy bubbles

VIDEO
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i38.photobucket.com/player.s...obucket.com/albums/e137/imdaring/algea003.flv">

Margaritas snails will chow on brown diatoms but they really prefer cooler water. Lower your lighting temporarily.

the tank is about 5 years old I had started with fish only with crushed coral on the bottom, in april of 2008 I switched to live sand and started to place hard and soft corals so the tank is not new... I also slowed way down on my feedings I had gotten 2 flame scalops, a duster, candy cane coral so I was feeding them zooplex often, for my frozen foods I only feed about 1-2x's a week..

remember the phosphate test we have dose not "see" organic phosphates. So, you probably have a lot of organics in the tank feeding the type of breakout you have. Diatoms, or algae - doesn't matter. How old is you tank- might be a "normal " cycle and you have to pull it off by hand , make sure you have enough flow and some type of mechanical filter during this period of the tank to "catch" the free floating algae/diatoms.

Ok - not a newer tank or a "normal cycle". Doesn't sound like your overfeeding, but the Zooplex ( not familiar with it) - if a dead product ( frozen,powers,etc.) may produce algae. Hmm. I agree the water temp could be a factor. How old are you bulbs (old bulbs shift to the red which reportedly stimulates algae) and what type are they? . Do you use a skimmer? Ample current in tank? Water changes all can help with algae.

I can't remember how old they are the must be about 8 month I have 2 , 250 Wt Metal halide and 4 54wt blue T 5's I have new MH bulbs coming in the mail I figure that I will change them even if they are not quiet due it's Worth a shot ... my skimmer is a piece of CRAP I have a sea clone 150, I have a new aqua medic 1000 to go into my new tank when we set it up this fall but it won't fit in my sump that I have right now it's to small so I'm stuck with the sea clone till then :grumble: I just did a water change on Monday night I might do another one this weekend and bump the changes to 2 x's a week till it's under control..

Ok - not a newer tank or a "normal cycle". Doesn't sound like your overfeeding, but the Zooplex ( not familiar with it) - if a dead product ( frozen,powers,etc.) may produce algae. Hmm. I agree the water temp could be a factor. How old are you bulbs (old bulbs shift to the red which reportedly stimulates algae) and what type are they? . Do you use a skimmer? Ample current in tank? Water changes all can help with algae.

When doing water changes siphon out as much of it as possible. You can suck up some of it with a turkey baster. Get out as much as you can. Change or wash out your mech. filter twice a day. Continue with water changes weekly and reduce your lighting cycle.

Ok - Zooplex = organic nutrients= good for inverts,etc. but, without proper waste management ( skimming, water changes, filter feeders) those organics will definitely stimulate algae growth. So, Target feed those animals that you think require the Zooplex food and use the least amount possible.

My best tank does not require a skimmer because it is full of Xenia, and the sump is full of Cheato.I give or sell very cheaply both of my waste management "workers". I feed the fish with high grade small pellets, and add a little cyclops-eze once a week. I have no undesirable algae, too much corylline growth, and the lps, a nice sized clam and sps are are doing well. It took a year to stabilize- using a skimmer- but now I don't skim anymore. It is in my office waiting room- patients love to look at the tank- especially the Xenia.

I did my 3rd water change last night and I took my syphon hose and sucked a bunch off the sand and moved my power heads a little and the tank is starting to look better.. I'm almost ready to put my algae scrubber togather I just have to get to Menards and when I say get there I mean with out my kids I can't think when they are with me... LOL

Back