Brown Stuff

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

Well one week into cycling my tank and I have an issue. I have brown stuff all over my rock and sand...it looks like it is spreading. Is this OK?

On a better note, I have some feather dusters and snails in my tank. No idea where they came from, but for now they are my entertainment.

Getting my new skimmer this week and hopefully it works as it should!

Thanks for the help and advice.

~RC

it is most probably diatomic algae, it's normal during the cycle. i got hermits after the cycle and they tore that stuff up. of course, if you're going to be keeping a reef tank, id be careful with em. they irritate corals since they just crawl over everything like a bulldozer

it is most probably diatomic algae, it's normal during the cycle. i got hermits after the cycle and they tore that stuff up. of course, if you're going to be keeping a reef tank, id be careful with em. they irritate corals since they just crawl over everything like a bulldozer

Yeah I was going to have it be a reef tank so I was going to forego the crabs, unless there is a crab that will be OK with my corals??

So the brown stuff is normal? If I don't get crabs will it go away?

Thanks!

brown stuff is normal my tank suffers from them still but since I bought a flounder he keeps my sand stirred up. I can tell when he sleeps cause the diatoms will come back that quick. I have an emerald crab in my tank, good algae eaters.

Diatoms is normal during the cycling period.It will become less of an issue once the cycle is complete and water quality is kept up.A variety of snails after the cycle will help too.

brown stuff is normal my tank suffers from them still but since I bought a flounder he keeps my sand stirred up. I can tell when he sleeps cause the diatoms will come back that quick. I have an emerald crab in my tank, good algae eaters.

you have a flounder? interesting, ive never heard of this livestock being kept before, pictures please? =]

you have a flounder? interesting, ive never heard of this livestock being kept before, pictures please? =]

Here is a couple of quick pics...Sorry my camera sucks and he is pretty hard to get a good pic of since he constantly moves... He is a Peacock Flounder and is about 5-6 inches long.

4qshzl.jpg

ejdh8m.jpg

29dh7qs.jpg

Only 1 fishstore where I live sells them. Since he's a predator fish its unbelievable when he catches fish he is almost twice as fast as a lionfish, I was in shock when I first saw him eat. Swallows 2-3 inch fish whole and instantly.

Back