Brute to Tank

Hornet

Reefing newb
I'm planning on getting a Brute trash can to mix saltwater in. I'm trying to figure out how to get it from the laundry room to the tank. I'd rather not move water back and forth in by wheeling it around on toting buckets. I'd like to get a pump and pump the saltwater through a water hose to the tank. Its about 35 ft. from where the Brute can will located to the tank. Is this doable?

If so any suggestions for a cheap submersible pump that will do the job?

ok, disregard cheap. What pump can I use to do this? Then I'll decide if it's worth not toting buckets. I don't need it to move it fast :) I just to let the pump do the work while I sit on the couch and drink beer.

Just a quick search shows that being around $180. That's kinda pushing it just to move some water. I'll start surfing maybe I can find something used locally that will work.

I'm just not to thrilled about making 150 gals of ro/di saltwater and getting it to my tank. I can deal with the water changes after things are up and running but the initial filling is going to suck.

I'm open for better suggestion if anybody has any.

Is the laundry room on the same floor as the tank? If so, I would think a Mag 12 or 18 would be fine as long as you don't need to pump it up to a next level.

Laundry room is on the same floor. Maybe I can luck up and find a used one somewhere. I'd rather not pay full price for a water change pump.

Hell I might even be able to rig something up with my pan world that I'm using for a return pump. I think I may try that first and keep an eye out for a used pump for water changes.

Last edited:
When I was 1st filling my 125, I ran a 25' piece of tubing from the RO/DI unit (under the kitchen sink) to the tank. I made about 90g of water and then mixed in my salt. The rest of the water came from the old 75 I was breaking down. You can fill the tank with water and then add salt.
Now I have about a 35' piece of tubing coming from the RO/DI unit, down into the basement where my top off container is.

Back