Bryan's 55

Thanks Kenny yea I had a 29 gallon tank shortly, I couldnt take it I had to go ahead and convert my 55 into a saltwater.

Aquatic I was looking at the Royal Grammas I still havent decided if I like them or not. lol

I really want a Flame Angelfish or a Coral Beauty Angelfish but I dont know about them and corals. I have read they eat corals, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have one that can share their opinions about them?

It has been a very long time since I have been on here. Over the last year and half work and school have taken over my life. During this time I have not had much spend to spend on my tank. Have barely done monthly water changes. As you all know a tank just is not going to do well in that kind of condition. Over the last month I have started taking care of the tank again now that I have time again with school coming to an end. I have been doing 20% water changes for the last month. Some of my corals are starting to turn around, color is coming back, and some are showing signs of growth again. Most of my corals started disappearing and some even died.

Going to see if I can remember how to post pics:

DSCN2094.jpg

Just a couple pictures...

What are these? They are white and grayish, and almost clear in some spots
RSCN2289.jpg

What is the gray around these zoas? It has grown up all around the zoas and started spreading onto the rocks. I have pulled it all off before but it just regrew.
DSCN2309.jpg

Got me a couple new shrimps...
RSCN2224.jpg

New green ric
DSCN2298.jpg

New orange zoas, and I accidentally Tore a polyp off my red people eater colony, guess Ill have two colonies now
DSCN2279.jpg

Left Side of Tank
DSCN2274.jpg

Middle
DSCN2275.jpg

Right Side
DSCN2273.jpg

New Blue/Green Chromis
DSCN2206.jpg

Thats it for now just wanted to post a few more pictures

Well my skimmer crapped out on me last week, and instead of replacing the pump I went ahead and bought me a brand new in sump skimmer. It is so much more quiet than the hang on the back skimmer I had. Also built me a new sump so that the skimmer would fit with no problem.

Here it is
DSCN2315.jpg

DSCN2318.jpg

DSCN2317.jpg

Thank you, I already love having it in the sump rather than hanging on the back so much quieter. It already seems to be pulling a good amount of junk out, now if I can just it dialed in good.

Did yours take very long to break in? I'm still trying to get it adjusted to where it works the best. and Thank you

Ok ladies and gentlemen I have a couple questions. I'm trying to get my frogspawn back to how it used to look. Its tentacles used to be stretched further than they are now. The before pictures are before it ever split. But every since it has split its tentacles have never expanded as far as it did before. I have tired relocating it several times, I now have it moved higher in the tank in moderate flow and the color has really come back recently it is now a bright green again, but the tentacles are still not expanded as far. Anyone have any ideas on how to help them expand further again?

Before:
DSCN0941.jpg

DSCN1141_zps0ae77f34.jpg

Now:
DSCN2112.jpg

Also I'm trying to get my ric to split, I have read where people have feed them and they split faster, so over the last month or so I have been feeding it baby shrimp. It has had two mouths every since I got it and I figured it would have split by now. Any suggestions? Here is a pic of it.

RSCN2190.jpg

Vary nice Bryan love the corals my fav is that jumbo mushroom errr Ric...

as for splitting I'd just give it time and keep on feeding it

Last edited:
Yea the ric is getting pretty big now...I moved it into a little more light, it has shrunk since then, but the color has gotten alot better, since that picture. I guess it will split when it gets ready.

Well I fear that I have killed my tank.:pooh: I stupidly put a brass check valve on my return line. A couple hours later it hit me.:frustrat::frustrat: I just put copper and or metals in my tank. I quickly took it off (stayed on the tank for roughly 5 hours) so I don't know how much damage I did. Unfortunately my corals are not looking to good, they are only open about 75%. I have already done water changes and will continue to do them hoping that they will help, but figuring they will not.

So if I have managed to do enough damage to kill off all my coral I will just be running a fish only tank with live rock for now, as I cannot afford to buy a new tank, new rock, new sand, and new coral right now.

This really sucks because I was starting to see new growth on all the coral since I really started taking care of the take again. The part that really sucks is I do not know how many times I have read about putting copper and metals into a tank. Just did not even process what I was and had did for a few hours. Just for a few hours I made an extremely stupid and costly mistake.

Hopefully something will make it through, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it.:frustrat: :frustrat:

Anyone have any suggestions/had to deal with this before?

Huh...well you are doing water changes....are you running any carbon? No idea if that would help but it couldnt hurt. Carbon absorbs toxins..so worth a shot.

Brass is an alloy usually coated in Ni. Salt tarnishes brass quickly (it does not rust) but I don't think it would tarnish in 5 hours. Keep doing water changes and test your copper.

+1 Amba yeah thats really all you can do at this point is WC and test your copper. I hope the short exposure did not nuke your tank. Just take it on the side of caution and keep an eye on things. Hell I would not even knock logging each test and water change. Good luck and I truly hope things turn around and your tank is fine

Back