Bubble Algae

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
So, a couple of months ago, I randomly found one green bubble algae bubble clinging to my LR. I pulled it out (not popping it), bought 2 emerald crabs for good measure, and hadn't ever found another sign of the bubble algae again until today. There are 3 tiny bubble algae bubbles on the very bottom piece of LR I have in my 46. They are so small that I am afraid that they will pop if I try to grab them. What should I do?

You can try to use tweezers to get in there and pull them out from the base. I have a few that are also very small in my tank. I'm actually leaving them and waiting for them to get larger before I remove them, to make it easier for me to do so.

You can try to use tweezers to get in there and pull them out from the base. I have a few that are also very small in my tank. I'm actually leaving them and waiting for them to get larger before I remove them, to make it easier for me to do so.
Yeah, I was thinking about letting them grow so that I can remove them with less chance of squishing them. However, I'm worried that they'll burst on their own and then I'll have an algae infestation...

Are your emeralds still alive? if so, they'll probably dispose of them shortly.
Yes, they are still alive. They just seem more intent on pestering my corals then on eating the bubble algae...

It might. Marine SAT is good stuff. It cleared up my old 55 really well. Check and see if there's an expiration date on it, seeing that it contains live bacteria and all.

It might. Marine SAT is good stuff. It cleared up my old 55 really well. Check and see if there's an expiration date on it, seeing that it contains live bacteria and all.
Okay, thanks Biff. I can't find an expiration date and I never opened the bottle, so I think it's still good. I'll give it a shot!

let the emeralds do their job, when i had bubble algea i added 2 emeralds and they cleaned it up, then a week or 2 later i saw a pile of very small bubbles and i just watched them and in about 2 or 3 weeks the were eventually gone i guess the emeralds have to crawl across them before they find it never saw any after that, and i put some of Biffs cheato in my fuge so thats probably helping my phates also

let the emeralds do their job, when i had bubble algea i added 2 emeralds and they cleaned it up, then a week or 2 later i saw a pile of very small bubbles and i just watched them and in about 2 or 3 weeks the were eventually gone i guess the emeralds have to crawl across them before they find it never saw any after that, and i put some of Biffs cheato in my fuge so thats probably helping my phates also
I'm trying to be patient. I'd prefer not to attempt to manually remove the bubble algae and risk popping them and releasing the spores into my tank. However, those emerald crabs need to get to work!! :helm2: They haven't touched the three bubbles so far...

I'm trying to be patient. I'd prefer not to attempt to manually remove the bubble algae and risk popping them and releasing the spores into my tank. However, those emerald crabs need to get to work!! :helm2: They haven't touched the three bubbles so far...

I have four emeralds in my tank too. Every night I see them out picking around... Nowhere near my bubble algae!! They are hit or miss.

Well I cant really help with how to get rid of them cause I am only a few days into this hobby. I can tell you they will get reallly big most of the time before they pop. When I got my free tank it had BA as big as quarters no kidding they are really tough skinned more like a super ball as opposed to a balloon. I picked off some small ones today out of my tank they were really stuck tight but did not pop.
Im waiting to put in some emerald crabs myself. Best of luck to you!

Well I cant really help with how to get rid of them cause I am only a few days into this hobby. I can tell you they will get reallly big most of the time before they pop. When I got my free tank it had BA as big as quarters no kidding they are really tough skinned more like a super ball as opposed to a balloon. I picked off some small ones today out of my tank they were really stuck tight but did not pop.
Im waiting to put in some emerald crabs myself. Best of luck to you!
Thanks, Piratefish! I'm still holding out trying to give the emerald crabs a chance :helm2:

Great article! It's the Ventricaria ventricosa that popped up in my tank. Good news, though! The bubble algae appears to be completely gone!! I think my new emerald crabs and CUC finally did their job!

Back