Bubble Coral

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
At school, my biology teacher has set up an amazing 120 gallon in one of the study rooms, it has been up for a few years but is looking better than ever. Lots of nice corals. Anyways, tonight I was staring at the tank like I usually do and I was watching a cleaner shrimp work his way around the bubble coral and the coral spit out some purple/maroon looking stuff and it got all over the shrimp. What is this stuff? Is it a defense mechanism? I did some searching but didn't find anything.

is the manner that corals dump their biological waste..long ago i read that if stimulated they could use some like defense ( remember biological waste has foul odors, is irritant, etc).like fire coral that is irritant to skin if touch..hope i coul help..

Yeah I would say that is poo. I have a bubble coral and a day or so after feeding, it always excreetes a slime out of its mouth have just always assumed it is pooping.

Brian

My bubble just let out some long stringy brown stuff. I am hoping this is the same thing. It did this 2 days ago but I only saw 1 string. Today there were 5 or 6. Could this be the same thing??

It freaked me out because the coral was all shriveled up and it has 3-4 "mouths" and there was brown string coming out of all of them. Now it's back to what it normally looks like at night.

Back