Bubble Tip Anemone help

Saltydogg

Reefing newb
Hey all, recently added a small, green bubble tip anemone to my 24 gallon tank. When I introduced him to the tank he found a spot that provided good light and water movement and has not moved since, nor has the foot become unattached at any point. I've been feeding it some frozen krill and, up until now, the only problem I've had is with my peppermint shrimp stealing it's food. I had added a good sized clownfish to help protect and also buffer the anemone. The problem that I am having now is that the anemone has retracted itself and has little to no water sucked into it (kinda like when it excretes it's waste), and the "mouth" hangs open and the surrounding area is all inflamed looking, but is not excreting any waste. How do I tell if the clownfish is too big and may be over-buffering, or if I'm just making a mistake on water quality? Any help or insight is appreciated.

Most likely cause is either poor water quality, overfeeding, injury, or reaction for protection. hard to say what the problem is with information provided. temp fluctuations will affect your anemone also. hope something here gives you an idea. if you post your water parameters, amonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, salinity, how oftern fed and amount, and how you feed. i will try and help more. oh and lighting. also if you could provide the species of anemone you have would be helpfull. bubble tip could be several different anemones.

Parameters

Hey thanks for the reply. The anemone's condition has actually been going back and forth the last couple days, it'll be fully open and then next time I look at it, it is all closed up and crappy looking again. I had the water in my tank tested last night so I could post them here for you along with a pic (the picture is in the members gallery in saltydogg's folder) to help identify the anemone better. I took the water into the local fish store to have them test it against the values I got by testing it myself. The results: Ph: 8.2; Ammonia: 0ppm; Nitrite: 0ppm; Nitrate 0 to 5.0ppm; Salinity: between 1.023 and 1.024. The temperature fluxuates between 77 (at night with lights off) and 80 degrees (during the day with lights on). I had to look online to get the specs. for my lighting, what i found is: JBJ 2 x 36 Watt CFL Lighting & 50/50 (10k/Actinic) Bulbs. When I feed the anemone I take tank water into a cup and defrost 1, 1/2 inch, piece of krill. Once thawed I take the piece of krill and stick it to the anemone's tentacles and basically ward off any shrimps or the clown from taking it's food. I thoroughly rinse the cup and my hands/arms before putting anything near the tank so I don't think I'm introducing any harmful chemicals. Hope this helps, and thanks again.

from the pictures im not positive which bubble tip you have, however, both require strong lighting, and a moderate current but not directly on them so i would guess you need to do something with the current and for the lighting well mh would be the best. I believe you may have a Heteractis Magnifica (Radianthus ritteri). especially if it wanders and attaches to hard bottoms i.e. rock etc. Regular feedings with whole or diced shrimp and marine fish. tentacles are Zooxanthellate needs bright light. hope something here helps. good luck. I do not believe your system is properly set up for this anemone as mentioned above. do not believe anemone is diseased but deffinitely stressed due to the system conditions. good luck no suggestions other than improve circulation and lighting. do not over feed.

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys, I'll look into upgrading my lights this weekend and let you know how it goes. The only thing I'm worried about for that light set-up you posted for me is that my tank has a fitted hood and I've got some blennies that like to jump. Hopefully they make something that I can trade out my current bulbs with. Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for the links

Hey guys, I really appreciate all of the good links you've posted for me. :Cheers: Over the weekend I took the clownfish back to the fish store and traded him in for a smaller, tank raised, clownfish that doesn't use the anemone. Since then the anemone has started acting normal and healthy again. I am going to keep looking into those retro kits however, so I'm sure I'll have more questions later. :bounce:

glad we could help..if you have any more concerns or questions im sure one of us can help. just remember the only stupid question is the one not asked:bounce:

I have a sebae and ocellaris(tank raised) they both try to host in my sebae anemone.So if you like your fish keep it.since tank raised will host to.

Back