Bubbles everywhere!

cms722

Reefing newb
Ok so for the last week or so my return pump has been spitting out bubbles into my DT. It wasn't moved or touched or anything and now all of a sudden the water flowing into my tank looks like someone turned on a high powered faucet and I have millions of bubbles instead of calm water flow like I used to. I tried everything to get them to go away and I have no clue what else to do that will help. :frustrat: Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.

that didnt sound stupid.. sounds like it is pulling in air to me also.. is your overflow for some reason not keeping up with your pump? just saw a post not long ago with someone having a similar issue and they found a crab in the overflow slowing it down if I remember right...

Nope, I checked all that. The water levels are the same. And I don't have any crabs yet so that wouldn't be a problem. It really literally happened over night n makes no sense.

It has to be pulling in air from somewhere......What are you running, a sump?
From what I remember in sumps they can be a little touchy if the water increases/decreases and you adjust the flow.

Yea I've got a sump. But its been running fine since I got it all set up back in April. I never had this problem. It was touchy while I was first figuring out the flow but once I got it stable there wasn't a problem since. The only thing that I can think it might be is that the pump itself is creating the air inside it. And I've got no idea how to remedy that one.

Yea I've got a sump. But its been running fine since I got it all set up back in April. I never had this problem. It was touchy while I was first figuring out the flow but once I got it stable there wasn't a problem since. The only thing that I can think it might be is that the pump itself is creating the air inside it. And I've got no idea how to remedy that one.
A hole somewhere? There has to be a way that it is taking in air for it to put out that much air. Maybe take your pump, if you think that is the problem, and put it in the bathtub or a bucket of water, turn it on and let it run, if it is taking in air then it would show that way. If not I still think that it a flow issue and you should either turn up or down your flow rate with the sump.

Hmm, check your feed/return lines, maybe there's a small leak.

And marine wife's idea of isolating the pump is a great idea. If it stops doing it then you know it's pulling air from somewhere.

If I turn the pump off the bubbles stop. Obviously lol. I tried adjusting the flow when this started. I turned it all the way off and slowly turned it back on and adjusted it the way I did when I first set everything up, even the slightest bit of water creates bubbles. And as far as isolating the pump, I just take it and submerge it in the water in the tub? Like I would if I was trying to find a leak in a hose or something? Wait and see if any air leaks out?

Take the pump out, take it apart and clean it with some hot water and vinegar, and then run it in a tub or bucket. Check the impeller for chips or damage. The only way a pump can cause bubbles is if it's chopping up the water (rough, broken, or skimmer type impeller). Otherwise, a pump doesn't create air for itself, even skimmer pumps need air from a line.

If it's not the pump, then it's something in your return lines. There's either an air pocket, or a pinhole leak that's allowing air to get sucked in. If you have a siphon break, check to make sure the siphon break is underwater.

Only other thing is the water level in your sump. Obviously, if it's lower than your pump, it'll suck in air.

Oh, and what does your sump look like? Does it have a bubble trap?

+1 Zissou I was thinking the same thing

A tank obviously can not spontaneously start creating air for itself, its coming from somewhere although I would bet its a hose

pics always help ;)

and yes, the air comes from somewhere lol. if the pump IS fully submerged then it has to be a leak somewhere, which doesn't make sence to me you think you would find water leaking....

pics always help ;)

and yes, the air comes from somewhere lol. if the pump IS fully submerged then it has to be a leak somewhere, which doesn't make sence to me you think you would find water leaking....

If it were a hose or something I would agree that there would be some water leaking. But if something is wrong with the pump then you wouldnt really see it until you isolated it and tried just that......

If it were a hose or something I would agree that there would be some water leaking. But if something is wrong with the pump then you wouldnt really see it until you isolated it and tried just that......
neg, because if a pump is fully submerged in only water then it cannot make air bubbles without sucking air from somewhere... therefore if it is fully submerged in water and no air hose for it to suck air from (like a skimmer pump has) then there is no way for a pump to create air bubbles. Therefore, the pump is not what is causing the air bubbles.

Back