Budget reef lighting!!!!

WaVe RiDeR

Reefing newb
okay so i want to go into reefing and need some lights, i am reefing my 30 gallon tank i was told to go with Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting but to get new bulbs after, i was looking for something that i didn't have to upgrade something that would be one and done type of thing, i am going to do LPS corals only, my budget is around $140ish couldn't find any leds for that cheap but anything that is decent and built well is a plus, any suggestions?

i have the 4 bulb fixture and im loving it, prior to it i had the 20 inch 72watt fixture and both fixtures have been great for the price :D im very happy with the fixtures and better than paying 4-5 times for something similar

even if you get new bulbs it still wont be the as expencive as the other brand bulbs

people hate on those bulbs way too much. i have been running stock lights for 9 months and have some beginner sps under it

same here i didnt replace my old bulbs and my corals were all great, i dont plan on replacing these until 9+ months

people hate on them because its a cheap brand and its "not made in america" plus odyssea had a bad rep on old fixtures catching fire , they have since fixed that (as far as i read)

also your gonna have to eventually buy new bulbs sooner or later, maybe instead of buying all at once buy one a month and just have them put away untill you need to change them

Last edited:
people hate on those bulbs way too much. i have been running stock lights for 9 months and have some beginner sps under it

You can keep beginner SPS under poor lighting, doesn't mean they're thriving. There is a big difference between ANY stock bulbs (not just Odyessea bulbs either) that come with a fixture and quality bulbs from companies like ATI, KZ, Geissman.

could you post some pics of the fixture and and of the dt to see the lighting quality, but now i am a little sketched out about it catching fire.

I can understand wanting to cut corners in a hobby, but probably THE most important piece of gear for a reef tank is going to be lighting

If you never want to have to worry about replacing bulbs, the choice is simple- buy an LED fixuture - but its going to cost you up front

Pretty much everyone will tell you to replace the stock bulbs on most of the fixtures on the market - this is not specific to the fixture you mentioned.

I started with a Marineland Pro fixture, and within 6 months my bulbs gave me horrible cyano. It was at that point I upgraded to LEDs and I havent looked back since.

Buy a quality product - even if that means waiting a while to get corals

Back