bugs

scubacane

Reefing newb
Yesterday morning when I turnes on my light to start the day I noted tens of small white 1 mm "bugs" on the back of my tank, seeming to congregate where I have some stubborn algae growth. After awhile they disappeared but this am they were there again. Tank is about two months old, 14 gallon biocube w/ good live rock, 1.024 sg, pH8.2, 0 ammonia,0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 77 degrees, 13 hermits, 2 arrows , 1 clown, 1 BTA(I know I need more light) . Are these copepods , do I need to do anything, Thanks

"small white bugs" is not a very good description. It could be pods. Could be a tank killing parasite.

pointlesswithoutpics1.jpg

OK- Ill try to be more descriptive-they are about a mm in length, shaped is like this: (), with multiple small legs running down the side and larger antennae at the end, appear to be feeding on algae, opaque to clear in color

Sound like pods to me. If so then they are fine and will not hurt anything. They also make a good food source for some fish.

FYI, in future posts, pics are always appreciated. It lets us identify things faster, as well as get a peek at new tanks.

-Doc

My clown picks them off the back of the tank every AM- they are fast little guys. I finally got my QT tank started a few weeks back - bought a striped damsel to test it out- also my BTA is going strong , greenish white, sticky, taking a bay scallop every 3 days- doing 10 % water changes every week

Congrats on the new set up. BTW if you can ever catch a couple pods try boiling them..... with a little salt and pepper they are delicious!

probally isopod, i have isopods, amphipods, and some copepods, and recently discovered in my 29 gallon tons of mysis pods swimming around and night.

Back