Build my tank!

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
Ok, guys, I'm only about 1/3 of the way through my overseas tour, but I've got a lot of free time and can't stop planning my tank. I'm planning on a relatively shallow 150 gal tank, with an "atoll" theme. I'm slowly starting to buy equipment for the tank.
Plan is to buy a few more of the aqua illumination LED modules for lighting, including one of their nano ones for my refugium.

Need some advice from you fellow reefers:

Really looking at the VorTech pumps - is one MP40eW really enough (as the company states) for a 150 gallon tank? Seems hard to justify spending for more than one of them.

Good recommendation on a skimmer for that tank size? For design purposes, my tank is going to sit lower than most, so I will have less room underneath the stand.

Debating between building an algae scrubber or trying the zeovit/biopellet type approach. What do you guys think?

Any negative feelings about black sand?

thanks guys, keep feeding my addiction! Miss y'all. :helm2:

Hey Chute, starting to worry about ya...Hadn't heard from you in awhile. I dont know anything about the Vortech pumps. But here's my :twocents:

I like black sand, but I dont like when it's mixed with white.

I love algae scrubbers. If you use a scrubber. You don't need a sump.

Yeah, I don't plan on mixing it w/white.
You mean you don't need a skimmer, I'm assuming? I know the scrubber, built properly, can be a huge asset in reducing nitrates/phos, but I'm still not 100% convinced on operating one without a skimmer, especially in a larger, heavily stocked tank. I know you've had a lot of success, though - any thoughts? Going to have to dig through your build thread now and see how you're doing it. I certainly would love to cut out the expense and wattage of a skimmer/pump.

Also, looking to do rimless - is there any concern on a large rimless tank as far as its seams go? I'd love to do it, but I'm afraid the process will ultimately lead to a leak.
How about eurobracing?

Yeah, I meant skimmer....Don't know why I typed sump....(still early) I only use an algae scrubber on my 180g... I've never owned a skimmer.

here's my livestock
Blue Throat Trigger. 6"
Foxface 6"
3 Chromis
2 Clowns
1 Sailfin 5"
1 Yellow Tang 5"
Wrasse
Orange Shoulder Tang 6"

I've never lost a fish or coral because of water conditions. My tank has never had above 5ppm nitrates, phosphates are 0. I recently noticed that my SPS grows much faster than my zoas...after a conversation with Biff, we decided that my water was too clean...I've recently started adding phytoplankton, and zoo plankton....Water still perfect, and my zoas are starting to spread, sps still doing great.

I'm a big proponent of the Alaae scrubbers.:D Notice, there's no algae. I've never had an algae issue since I set up the tank in Nov. 2009.

Here's my tank. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVMVWLHbXDQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Before After[/ame]

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of algae scrubbers too, the idea is really amazing IMO. It's just so hard giving up the idea of a skimmer!
My bandwidth is really slow here in Iraq for youtube - got any good photos of your skimmer? I looked through some of your build post but couldn't find it.

I started spot-feeding my palys with a cyclopeeze/oyster egg mix, and I noticed some of the zoas had a feeding response to it. I'd suggest giving it a try, it really helped them grow even faster.

No. I don't have any current pics, but I'll take some for you when I get home. I'm about to walk out the door to go try to earn a buck. If you built a typical scrubber for a 150g tank, you'd have less than $40 into it, and thats including the lights and reflectors...I'll shoot you some pics today, I have to clean it today, I'll show you how much stuff comes off of it. It's almost creepy.

Stay safe brother...

That is one cool looking nano light...I just wish I could use it some where in my nano cube. :)

BTW, stay safe in Iraq and know that all of us at home are grateful for your sacrifice.

Nope, still in Iraq. Til September, then possibly moving. So it could be almost a year before I start my tank, but nothing's going to stop me from starting to order the parts & pieces!

yeah, it is - this place is so backwards & corrupt, can't wait to go somewhere they know how to build buildings properly, don't burn all their trash in the streets, and where there isn't any MUD!
But don't let anyone tell you the war is over, bad stuff is happening here every day...

Those are sweet lights...but I don't think anyone has had success using LED's on a scrubber yet.

Why wouldn't you have success? I know it's a spectrum thing, but even so, that's a lot of very bright light...
What's the preferred light?

yeah, it is - this place is so backwards & corrupt, can't wait to go somewhere they know how to build buildings properly, don't burn all their trash in the streets, and where there isn't any MUD!
But don't let anyone tell you the war is over, bad stuff is happening here every day...

Yea I watch the news, there is no way you can say that its over. I just think, even though you guys have done an EXCELLENT job over there, its time to let them fight it out for their selves. Its time you came home.

Back